TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Roller Rocker arms, don't know who makes them
manxguy60 Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:15 pm

I found this set of roller rockers, but I do not know who makes them. They are not auto craft and I found them in a box that had been sitting for some time.

Chip Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:49 pm

How are those supposed to hold a pushrod in place without cups opposite the adjusters?

[email protected] Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:05 pm

back in the 70s a lot of rockers had ball adjusters, which used a push rod that had a cup at one end instead of 2 ball ends. Sig Erson is one example. But those are NOT Erson rockers.

You can convert them to regular style with a set of new cup adjusters. They are probably 5/16-24, check first.

manxguy60 Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:50 pm

[email protected] wrote: back in the 70s a lot of rockers had ball adjusters, which used a push rod that had a cup at one end instead of 2 ball ends. Sig Erson is one example. But those are NOT Erson rockers.

You can convert them to regular style with a set of new cup adjusters. They are probably 5/16-24, check first.

I had a guy swear up and down the were sig erson, any ideas on who does make them or is it anybody's guess?

modok Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:15 pm

wow, I've seen a lot of badly designed rockers but that beats them all!
Probably a "one off", any major company would have known the roller axle needs to be parallel to the shaft.
:shock:

ONEBADBUG Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:37 pm

The roller would scrub some, but everything being covered in oil, I don't think that it would matter much.

[email protected] Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:42 pm

Erson rockers had a scuffer tip, not a roller.

modok Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:31 am

ONEBADBUG wrote: The roller would scrub some, but everything being covered in oil, I don't think that it would matter much.

think again. You'll do a palm to face when you figure it out.

Quokka42 Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:20 am

He's right, you know? They would not only scuff they would chew up a valve end worse than a stock adjuster.

Would look cool hung on your wall, though.

mark tucker Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:20 am

scrub a dub dub.....so they would scrub more than a non roller would.....helps keep the valve stem clean....also kinda look like possibly 1.1 ratio...or less. Ive seen pics of them before dont know where or who.possiably for canted valve heads to keep the scrubbing bubbles from foaming at the mouth.

raul arrese Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:44 pm

wow if you really think about it , they might be worse than running stocks.

mark tucker Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:12 pm

if you realy think about it you may never set in a stamped out pan with a lawnmower engine conected to the wheels called a bug. yes they would be better not kicked off at an angle like that but Im sure they still work.....taking into consideration the oe spring pressure and the oe cam lift* the oe carb&exhaust, yes they will kill the guides in a while but...so did the oe rockers :shock: oops what was that that just flew by my head??holly crap I need a flack jacket!!! :roll: of corse thay could be welded up& remachined.....or hung on the wall of shame& stupidity just as the eveloution of the vw performance industry was coming into .....hmm I wonder just what they were coming into??? yes there were some that were on the right track and more that werent...kinda like these.

modok Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:46 pm

Look to be cast, probably would not weld very well either.

Fitting for a VW...........the roller tilts as it goes up and down just like the back tires. :lol:

SBD Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:06 pm

modok wrote: Look to be cast, probably would not weld very well either.

Fitting for a VW...........the roller tilts as it goes up and down just like the back tires. :lol: Wow! Check out the wicked camber on my rocker arms! \:D/

mark tucker Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:25 am

they look forged to me, if you cut them& added a swivel between the roller and the body....you could also wack off of the pushrod end&add some ratio to them...or hang them on the wall.heck I paid $25. for a set of the old thompson aluminum rockers just to add to the wall of shame&fame(sofar the fame side is empty)