TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: IDF Weber throttle linkage leaking
KooK Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:56 pm

I have a pair of 40 IDF webers and the linkage is leaking air past it. I was hoping you guys knew where I could pick up the teflon bushings I need because I can't friggin' find the things anywhere.

Thanks,
-Aaron

Dale M. Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:14 am

Umm.... Shafts run in ball bearings and have seals on them ... If you have leaking around shafts you have more problems than "teflon bearing" will fix.... You wil probably have to have bodies rebuild to get proper clearances on shafts and replace bearings...

Parts can be had here...

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/

Dale

KooK Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:58 am

Well let me explain the issue a little better. On my drivers carb I am getting different readings in vacuum and different readings on my carb sync tool that rests in the individual barrels (I'm not talking about from carb to carb but from rear barrel to front on this specific carb). I assumed it was a gasket leak but the only time I can get a stumble from shooting cleaner around the carb is when I hit the throttle linkage shaft that the accelerator pump connects to. I can't imagine this area having bearings, only bushings, but I also can't see on your diagram you posted up where anything in this area is even replaceable.

Bobalos Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:43 am

there are bearings on the outside & bushings on the inside. I looked around for about a month & could not find anyone that was willing to mes with them for less than the cost of a new carb.

Bob

mark tucker Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:48 pm

sounds like blown out intake/head gasket or twisted shafts. pull intakes & change the intake gadgets, do the ones under the carbs too while your at it. then you can look at the throttell plates to see if one is farther open than the ajacent one indacating a twisted shaft. and if you see a spellen teacher send them my way with some glasses so I can see too.we will go shoot some pool& discuss the need for proper spellen and grammer trying to get off jacks uncles horse of a different collor.

udidwht Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Do you have the air by-pass screws closed? If so you can adjust one or the other to match each barrel during synch procedure. So long as there isn't more than 1 point variance between barrels.

Weber IDF's very rarely ever need to have any work done on the throttle shaft where it passes from one barrel to another.

KooK Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Alright, going to take the engine off and remove the heads, clean everything up and make sure there's no compression leaking out there, reseal the manifolds to the head, rebuild the carbs and make sure everything is good and tight, put new gaskets between the manifolds and carbs. I'll let you guys know if I fixed it or if I'm still having issues. Thanks for the advice everybody.

KooK Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Just an update. I did a compression and leakdown test, compression test came back around 165-170 for all cylinders on a cold run and leakdown was between 6-8psi for all four, again, cold run. Head studs are tight, just waiting on the carb rebuild kits and new manifold gaskets to get here and I'll end up doing a full clean and rebuild this upcoming Monday.

KooK Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:56 am

Another update:

Cleaning everything up still, got all my rebuild stuff in, adding choke block-off plates this time around.

I ordered the rebuild kits from CBPerformance this time a round (last time I got them from Webercarbsdirect) and the CBPerformance kits are much better quality. I bought the bearings from Pierce Manifolds and was very disappointed to see that I paid close to $60 shipped for 4 bearings that were made in China when eBay had the exact same thing for $25. I suppose it's my fault for not calling and just assuming I was going to get better parts from these guys.

Either way, still need to set the float level but I have one carb done and the other is in the process of being cleaned still.