TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Baja bug with subaru wrx transmission?
baja kid Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Hey guys looking into buying another baja its been a while since i have had an offroad toy. Anyways been browsing the interwed and found a baja with a subaru turbo EJ2.5 and it was mated up with the subi tranny. My last car had the same 2.5 turbo subi and i had the 091 bus box. I have scene many people blow up the 002 and 091 gearboxes when running heaver baja bugs with a lager then vw power plant. my question is how strong are the subi wrx gear boxes for off road? better or worse then the 091/002 bus?? I would like having a 5 speed that would be cool! Let me know what cha think thanks

Mal evolent Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:11 pm

bottom line: designed by Subaru engineers to work with Subaru engines.

johnR Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:18 pm

What's needed to fit a Subaru 5-spd into a Type 1 chassis?

KrAzY-BaJa Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:10 am

only problem would be the tall 1st gear for hills/rocks ect. plus youll probably have almost twice the tire size of a subi, so its crawling speed will be pretty fast.

stooge57 Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:25 pm

You also need the reverse ring & pinion as you can't just flip them like a VW trans.

Check out: http://www.subarugears.com

QurtysLyn Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:27 am

stooge57 wrote: You also need the reverse ring & pinion as you can't just flip them like a VW trans.

Check out: http://www.subarugears.com

Since he's looking at buying one with it already setup, it probably already has that installed.

Subarugears Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:27 am

KrAzY-BaJa wrote: only problem would be the tall 1st gear for hills/rocks ect. plus youll probably have almost twice the tire size of a subi, so its crawling speed will be pretty fast.

Except we make a 4.86 ring and pinion for them so it's no different to 091 final gearing. There are also a number of first gears (and second to fifth gears) to choose from.

BUGGUTZ Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Damn I would love a 5 speed in my baja. Anybody able to figure a ballpark cost to get the basics?

Brian Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:41 am

more than the car.

BUGGUTZ Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:40 am

Yeah but that statement is correct for most baja mods.

MetricMuscle Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:53 am

Why not run the Subaru engine and trans in a mid engine configuration?
I do realize it will be more work but will also have other advantages.

Has anyone considered using an Automatic?
The Subaru 4-speed Automatics have the shortest ratio ring and pinion and a torque converter for crawling and climbing.