TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New wiring harness turn signal problem
Chad Traylor Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:24 pm

I have a Wiring Werks harness and WW flasher that I just put in my 12v 1960 sc. I dont have an emergency flasher. Ive searched the forum over and haven't found the same exact problem addressed. Front turn signals work fine along with the indicator light on the speedo. Problem is both of the rear signals flash when signaling left or right. I don't think its a turn signal switch issue. After unhooking the turn signal switch, a hot wire attached to the black &yellow wire on the harness gets both rear lights on. Hot wire to the black& red wire on the harness gets both lights illuminated also. Any help or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

SambaUser1M Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:30 pm

It sounds like your bk/rd wire is shorted to your bk/yw wire. If not "shorted", per se, they're connected to each other somewhere.

Chad Traylor Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:13 pm

I ran a couple wires bypassing the wiring harness. I got the same results with the rear turn signals. I now suspect the hose clamp technique I used for grounding the rear tailights may be the culprit.

Eric&Barb Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:19 pm

Add a ground wire from each taillight and run them to the battery neg cable grounding point on the body.

VW finally did this at the factory starting about 1970 due to this problem....