TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: A little help with camshaft
cakelley Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Before I tear my engine apart to fix a possible screw up. I think I may have put my camshaft gear on wrong. What valves would be open and closed for all four cylinders. I'm trying to see if my dot on my gear was installed inline with the correct lobe on the cam.

Danwvw Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Well TDC on the crank needs to give you loose Intake and Exhaust valves on either #1 or #3 and
BDC #2 or #4

Type 5 Joe Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Just check the valve lash like you would during a normal valve adjustment... Not any newfangled technique that is preached on here.

-Or if you pull the oil pump, the dot should be in line with the slot for the oil pump drive.

Danwvw Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Did you change the gear on the Camshaft and put it on in some other position other than the dot top and slot aligned?
Cam gear alignment.

OLD VW NUT Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm

vugbug68 Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:58 am

well you could have the cam gear in the right position on the cam but be off one tooth against the crank gear, you cant really see this by pulling the oil pump, but your valve lash could tell you. Measure at top dead then turn the engine a bit either way and see what happens

mark tucker Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:15 pm

the lash wont tell you but the valve/rocker movement can if you know what your looking at&for.