TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: No Can Do in CA?
Dauz Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:26 am

Does anyone know if theres any laws in CA that prohibit you from being able to wet sand primer in your driveway? So messy..

My neighbors pretty much mind their own business but it's still a toss up.

williamM Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:01 pm

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

retroman Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:16 pm

I paint in my driveway... Rural nevada! Calif. probably life in prison

grey60 Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:19 pm

retroman wrote: I paint in my driveway... Rural nevada! Calif. probably life in prison
Texas. Do WTF you want as long as you don't live near Rich People from CA.

Dauz Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:24 am

Ok.. I started wet sanding with P600 in my driveway yesterday and the neighbor around the block who walk their dog down my street and one other guy who owns several hot rods asked me if I needed help. We worked until beer'o'clock and got all four fenders, the decklid, and hood done.

Has anyone laid down base after wet sanding? Is it necessary to apply a reduced sealer coat of primer?

camaroboi13 Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Not a necessary step Dauz, if you're confident in your wet sanding abilities then you should be ready to put down some color. There have been times where I sanded through the primer into the paint that was underneath, and on a lighter color paint job that may show up. So I have resprayed the panel with primer and wet sanded again for best results. Life has gotten in the way, but there was a time a few years back when I would air brush cars and paint stripes on my side yard in plain sight where everyone could see it. Legal? Not so much the painting part, but it's gonna happen reguardless. I had cops stop by to look at my realistic flames as I was painting them and one of them literally told me not to get caught then drove away lol. So painting is not legal (at your risk!) but nothing says you can't wet sand a car in your driveway. I have done that several times, just make sure you hose off the driveway as you're sanding or else you'll end up with some interesting patterns that you may not have wanted on the ground/sidewalk/street/etc.

Mike Fisher Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:51 am

You can sand & paint on your lawn with mowing as cleanup.

Dauz Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:53 pm

I'm all painted. Was a long and daunting process stripping to bare metal, sheet metal work and replacement, repair of holes and dents, sanding, sanding, and oh.. sanding. Had it mirror smooth and still wound up with nonstop orange peel. So cut and buff/polish inc.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.. this was my first experience with refinishing. It's single stage "graublau" for Gray Blue in Germany. Looks blue in the shade but dark gray in the sun.

63Ragtop NZ Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:49 pm

looks like the hard work was worth it, well done bro!
Did you paint it yourself at home?

offshores Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:32 am

Looks good and I like that color. You want to paint my '65 now??? :)

VWporscheGT3 Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:30 am

retroman wrote: I paint in my driveway... Rural nevada! Calif. probably life in prison

Gosh I love our state lol

Dauz Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:54 pm

63Ragtop NZ wrote: looks like the hard work was worth it, well done bro!

Absolutely did everything myself within my garage. Many thanks to my EXTREMELY tolerant, patient, and understanding wife and four kiddos.

After final detail and assembly, I plan to create a build thread chronicling the effort.

Could not have done it without the tribal knowledge shared within thesamba.com

EverettB Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:34 pm

LOL - I think it's just a huge fine

63Ragtop NZ Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:53 pm

Dauz wrote: 63Ragtop NZ wrote: looks like the hard work was worth it, well done bro!

Absolutely did everything myself within my garage. Many thanks to my EXTREMELY tolerant, patient, and understanding wife and four kiddos.

After final detail and assembly, I plan to create a build thread chronicling the effort.

Could not have done it without the tribal knowledge shared within thesamba.com

Please do, I'm at the welding stage on my project and need all the help/tips i can get about paint etc.

Well done again, the car looks really nice, I thought I was busy with 2 kids, 4 must be nuts! LOL, I use to wounder why guys would thank their wifes/girlfriends in mag features etc, now I know!