TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: piston / cylinder gap tolerance
Elciteeve Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:43 pm

So I ran a compression test on my engine (1971 type 2 westy 1600cc) and the acceptable allowance is 100psi minimum. All 4 of my cylinders tested 60 psi. I also have pretty bad oil blow by. With this information I decided I probably had bad rings.

I took off the cylinders and sure enough all 4 pistons had cracked rings. I figured while I had everything apart I'd pull the pistons and check the piston / cylinder wear. My Bentley says the maximum gap between piston and cylinder is .2mm. I measured that each set had a gap ranging from .21 mm - .30 mm.

The Bentley says at this point I need a new set of cylinders and pistons. Could I get by with a new set of rings? Or possibly new pistons and a cylinder bore? I don't have the money for new pistons / cylinders. I was really hoping to just replace the rings.

Any thoughts?

Wayland Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:15 pm

CIP has the AA piston and cylinder kits on sale for $120. Pretty hard to justify messing around with worn out old parts for that price.

BarryL Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:23 am

Elciteeve wrote: I don't have the money for new pistons / cylinders. I was really hoping to just replace the rings.

Hone the barrels, clean the piston grooves, re-ring, put new case-to-cylinder gaskets on, stretch the pushrod tubes and put new seals on them, and bolt it back up. That is making sure you put the same piston and wrist pin back in the same relative places they were. Make sure there isn't carbon where the tops of the cylinders land on the heads.

This is a patch but should buy you some time.

Elciteeve Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Wayland wrote: CIP has the AA piston and cylinder kits on sale for $120. Pretty hard to justify messing around with worn out old parts for that price.

What is CIP?

Wayland Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:08 pm

http://cip1.com/

bill may Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:52 am

vw of germany stopped using cylinder to spigot gaskets in the 1970's. use a thin bead of silicone as vw upgraded to,please.