TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oxidation
56Cabrio Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:03 pm

I had my oval painted about 14 years ago with PPG Concept Acrylic Urethane. Well the car sat outside in the corner of my driveway for the last 10 years. It has major oxidation what is the best way to get the shine back? Any help would be appreciated. I have a buffer but the stuff i bought (Meguiars Ultimate compound) seems like it is just making the oxidation shinier :shock:

UreKem Paints Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:58 pm

I would try wet sanding with P1000 to remove as much oxidation as possible first then hit it with 1500 before going to your compounding. It may be too far gone to get back but worth a try I suppose....good luck

56Cabrio Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:36 pm

UreKem Paints wrote: I would try wet sanding with P1000 to remove as much oxidation as possible first then hit it with 1500 before going to your compounding. It may be too far gone to get back but worth a try I suppose....good luck
Whats a good buffing compound to use ? The stuff i have seem more like a polishing compound more than anything.

Mike Fisher Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:44 am

Take it to a Detail Shop & pay the experts to polish it.

56Cabrio Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:28 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: Take it to a Detail Shop & pay the experts to polish it.
Thank you for the advise but that would take all the fun out of it. I want to tackle this one.

Bobnotch Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:03 am

56Cabrio wrote: UreKem Paints wrote: I would try wet sanding with P1000 to remove as much oxidation as possible first then hit it with 1500 before going to your compounding. It may be too far gone to get back but worth a try I suppose....good luck
Whats a good buffing compound to use ? The stuff i have seem more like a polishing compound more than anything.

3M heavy duty rubbing compound. Just be careful, as you'll be pulling a lot of paint up. You might even need a couple of buffing pads. Another option, would be to wet sand with 600, and clear coat it.

60ragtop Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:30 pm

try TR3 ResinGlaze

http://bluemagicusa.com/index.php/blue_magic/products/91

I have good results with it for removing oxidation.

wannabebodyman Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:17 am

Single stage urethane will buff out and look like new. Use a wool pad with a rubbing compound. The use a foam pad with a polishing compound.

56Cabrio Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:13 pm

wannabebodyman wrote: Single stage urethane will buff out and look like new. Use a wool pad with a rubbing compound. The use a foam pad with a polishing compound.

Wet sanded & buffed the front left fender. Not to bad for a 14 year old paint job sitting for the last 10 years. Feels like glass. Im going to do the rest of the car when i have time.
This is the right fender the left looked the same.

left

westylife Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:21 am

Wow what a difference! What exactly did you use? Did you follow wannabebodyman's advise?

Mike Fisher Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:26 am

Very nice! Better than any Detail Shop job. :D

56Cabrio Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:19 pm

westylife wrote: Wow what a difference! What exactly did you use? Did you follow wannabebodyman's advise?

Yeah i wet sanded with 1200 then buffed it with 3m rubbing compound.

Mike Fisher wrote: Very nice! Better than any Detail Shop job. :D
Mike Fisher Thank you
When i was 17 i got kicked out my house (my fault being a dumb kid) I moved in my friends Dads body shop & helped him build custom Harleys & street rods to pay my rent. He taught me a little body work and color sanding. That was 26 years ago but i never forgot. Never forgot what it feels like to be starving too :shock: This was my first time buffing though.

Dauz Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:56 pm

You don't need to sand. It's only oxidation. Sanding is to get trash and orange peel out of the paint or clear coat. If you NEED to sand, then I'd only use P2000 and up grit

To remove oxidation, all you need is to cut it with a wool pad and compound and then use a finishing pad with polish.

56Cabrio Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:03 pm

Dauz wrote: You don't need to sand. It's only oxidation. Sanding is to get trash and orange peel out of the paint or clear coat. If you NEED to sand, then I'd only use P2000 and up grit

To remove oxidation, all you need is to cut it with a wool pad and compound and then use a finishing pad with polish.

The car was never color sanded or buffed after it was painted. I was going to bring it back to the painter after a month for color sanding and buffing but he skipped town and took ppls money with him. i paid the guy a grand for body & paint work. He supplied the PPG Concept Acrylic Urethane.

So i should just use P2000 ?

Dauz Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:40 pm

56Cabrio wrote: Dauz wrote: You don't need to sand. It's only oxidation. Sanding is to get trash and orange peel out of the paint or clear coat. If you NEED to sand, then I'd only use P2000 and up grit

The car was never color sanded or buffed after it was painted. I was going to bring it back to the painter after a month for color sanding and buffing but he skipped town and took ppls money with him. i paid the guy a grand for body & paint work. He supplied the PPG Concept Acrylic Urethane.

So i should just use P2000 ?

If there's currently orange peel, trash, or runs, then you can try P2000 and if it's not flattening quickly enough you can move down to P1500 then back up to 2000 to finish.

Derfburg Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:50 am

Dauz wrote: You don't need to sand. It's only oxidation. Sanding is to get trash and orange peel out of the paint or clear coat. If you NEED to sand, then I'd only use P2000 and up grit

Could you dumb this down for me? What brands, types to buy for this. I have no idea what to start with for Wool Pad, Compound, finishing pad or polish. I am just trying to get some shine back to my 66 sedan. Thanks for the help.

vdubmyk Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:16 pm

Derfburg wrote: Dauz wrote: You don't need to sand. It's only oxidation. Sanding is to get trash and orange peel out of the paint or clear coat. If you NEED to sand, then I'd only use P2000 and up grit

Could you dumb this down for me? What brands, types to buy for this. I have no idea what to start with for Wool Pad, Compound, finishing pad or polish. I am just trying to get some shine back to my 66 sedan. Thanks for the help.
Check out this link: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-fea...aints.html

It details the process and theory behind it. I wash the car, claybar it, wash again and then polish. I use Lake Country CCS foam polishing pads on a Porter Cable Dual action orbital as well as the HD product line of Cut, Polish, and HD Poxy. I also like the Meguiar's Gold Class line of wax, It doesn't dry to a white paste. Any detail shop will have the supplies necessary or you can buy them online. I prefer to go into the store and ask the guy there, they are really helpful.

Derfburg Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:16 am

Thank you for the help. I will give this a shot.