TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rebuilding semaphore opening on my 1960 euro
eszojaz Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Does anyone have any nice close up photos of their semaphore openings? I have a 1960 euro semaphore bus, but the semaphores are welded closed. I'd like to open them up and restore them if possible. I'm just not totally sure what the opening should look like. I started opening them up with a grinder, but I didn't want to get too close to the edges, until I see what they look like.
Thanks

Eric&Barb Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:40 pm

From a "Search" of the "Gallery" for "Semaphore":

Be better to hand sand those areas till at least you know what is under there....

eszojaz Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'll take my time digging into them. I wire brushed the openings, so I can see pretty good. The problem is the dude that did the welding on it was a farmer welder and used lots of weld!

I love your bus! That's exactly what I'd like my bus to look like one day!

Schwing Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:41 am

More from the gallery. Hard to find close-ups. I'd go to a show and take some pics.

CaLiBus Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:06 am

eszojaz wrote: Does anyone have any nice close up photos of their semaphore openings? I have a 1960 euro semaphore bus, but the semaphores are welded closed. I'd like to open them up and restore them if possible. I'm just not totally sure what the opening should look like. I started opening them up with a grinder, but I didn't want to get too close to the edges, until I see what they look like.
Thanks

Don't go any further with a grinder. Use smaller equipment like a dremel and files.
Post pictures to help guide you along the way.

Eric&Barb Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:06 am

eszojaz wrote: Thanks for the reply! I'll take my time digging into them. I wire brushed the openings, so I can see pretty good. The problem is the dude that did the welding on it was a farmer welder and used lots of weld!

I love your bus! That's exactly what I'd like my bus to look like one day!

Not our bus in the last post. Just an image we found thru a search....
Our 1960 walk thru panel camper has the bullet style turn signals.

bubblehead Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:38 am

I have a semaphore bus ( actually two 8) ). If you need any additional pics or some measurements let me know. If you have the original mounting holes, installing a semaphore will show you where the opening needs to be.

eszojaz Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks very much for the photos and all the replies! I'm hoping to get into it this weekend.