TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Making a rack that can hold 2 Kayaks on Baja Page: 1, 2  Next
ORANGECRUSHer Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:49 am

I've got 2 weeks before my big summer trip to Leelanau and I need to finger out how I can get both my kayaks and my Baja there behind my motorhome.

I could always add side racks to the trailer like I did for my motorcycle trailer, but that's boring and I'm thinking a rack on top of the Baja would look better and be more advantageous. I could load the kayaks on the Baja and then load the Baja on the trailer. No kayaks getting in the way when I want to get the Baja off the trailer not to mention how wide it'd make the trailer.

Anyway, I've been researching ideas on how to make this rack. I'd like it to be a regular rack 99% of the time for a gas can and gear (maybe a spare tire), but have some sort of brackets that just slide into tubing on the rack that can hold a kayak on either side of the rack with out sacrificing space on the rack.

So I figured I'd put this out there and see if anybody felt like having some fun designing my next project with me. I need ideas on how to make the rack anchors/feet. I need ideas on materials - since kayaks can weigh up to 40lbs it'll need to be strong, but I like the idea of an aluminum and wood rack.

sloboatnova Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:20 am

I would get 2 sizes of tube, one that barely slides into the other. I would weld 2 pieces of the big tube vertical in the middle of the rack, but below the shelf level. Then make 2 T style racks (to hold the kayaks) that insert into the big tube and attached with a pin of your choosing. The great part is, you could build other attachements for other things that would mount the same way.

ORANGECRUSHer Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:34 am

My initial vision was forks off each side, but then today I pictured the T like you describe and yes that would be handier and prolly easier to hide the bracketry. I could even use it to pick up lumber.
Leverage could be offest by rope at the ends of the kayak tied to the bumper.

dirtkeeper Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:06 am

I have been trying to figure out the same thing. I am planning a rack build and have an ocean kayak, about 16 feet and 65lbs. I have kind of come to the conclusion that the best way will probably be to buy a kayak rack mount either vertical style or horizontal and attach it to the rack i make. I am also thinking about making a bike brackets that would hold a bike between a connection on the bumper and the back of the rack i make. I'll be watching to see what you do.

Dreaded1 Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:42 am

dirtkeeper wrote: I have been trying to figure out the same thing. I am planning a rack build and have an ocean kayak, about 16 feet and 65lbs. I have kind of come to the conclusion that the best way will probably be to buy a kayak rack mount either vertical style or horizontal and attach it to the rack i make. I am also thinking about making a bike brackets that would hold a bike between a connection on the bumper and the back of the rack i make. I'll be watching to see what you do.

I would think that adding kayak "J' bars to any rack you custom build wouldn't be that difficult. You can probably pick a set on Craigslist for ~$100.

For the bike mount you would want something like this for the front wheel. The back wheel could be velcro strapped to the bumper.

sloboatnova Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:52 am

When I build a rack, I want steps going to it from the rear bumper.

ORANGECRUSHer Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:03 am

sloboatnova wrote: When I build a rack, I want steps going to it from the rear bumper. :shock:

ORANGECRUSHer Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:05 am

I can't make up my friggin mind on what to make this thing out of. I've gone from 1" steel to aluminum to EMT.
steel=heavy
aluminum=cost
EMT=brittle

sloboatnova Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:51 am

I would just go with steel. The possible wind drag will slow you down more than 40 lbs of steel tube.

68ohiobug Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:09 pm

Here is a pic of my rack, and with an "A" shaped Kayak Carrier I believe that something close is what your after. I have seen some in Cabela's...

Also I made mine out of EMT 1" (main frame) and 3/4" (horizontal/vertical braces)

ORANGECRUSHer Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:41 am

Looks like that would hold only one. I need two. one Kayak being 28" wide so about five foot wide together. That's alot of real estate on top of a bug.
I started adding two foot onto my motorcycle trailer last night to fit the Baja and I started thinking about building a rack on the trailer instead or at least for now.
The trailer is just bigger than the baja and I don't want to run the kayaks along side the baja. But then I got an idea to make two hoops that go from one side of the trailer up and over and back down to the other side. One would be at the front and the other back about to where the windshield would be. The front would be just a little higher than the hood in the front and the rear hoop would be about 6 foot high. The Kayaks would then lay at an angle over the front of the car and strap to the hoops.
This would be just a temporary solution for the upcoming trip so that I can spend time making a proper rack when I don't have a timeline.

So keep your ideas coming.

HERC Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:56 am

Just get a couple of these folding kayaks and throw em in the baja.
No rack needed. http://www.orukayak.com/gallery

ORANGECRUSHer Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:39 am

That's all I need is more things to put together. Those are interesting though. Looks like the corrugated plastic totes-on-skids we used to see in the factory. lol

vwracin2win Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:41 pm

what about just making a rack on your trailer? kind of like the racks you see people use to mount seadoos over their boat. make it just over the top of the bug. definately wouldnt have to be super heavy duty. just an idea...

ORANGECRUSHer Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Well I started to bend up a rack that would mount on trailer and hold them over the car but I quickly realised how tippy it would be.

I have 3 days before I leave and I decided to make a rack for the top of the bug and a crossbar attachment for the yaks. Gonna pick up the mats tomorrow and see what I come up with.

If anything it'll be handy to go down the road and pick up bundles of wood. The state campgrounds tend to run out on holidays. Can make a spot to carry a jerry can too.

I'm a little intimidated about making the clamp to the rain gutter. Lol yeah I know. I sweat the small stuff.

ORANGECRUSHer Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:57 am

Got a start on it last night.
Sorry for the misty pic- it was 2am and a heavy fog had rolled in off the lake bringing my work to an end. That and I had to be back to work in three hours.
Anyway, I got the lower and upper hoops done. Tonight I have to fab the uprights between the two hoops, the foot clamps, and the T-bars and their recievers.
Making the feet match the roof took awhile. I was planning on making gutter clamps for the 4 corner feet, but I think they'll get in the way of the door and that's why most racks only use a middle clamp. I'm hoping that will be enough.

HERC Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:19 am

OC, with your welding skills, Ida thought you'd have done up a cage real quick and welded a nice beefy rack through the roof into the cage.

Dont really like all the small conduity fuckin racks floatin around. shit, might as well just get a wolfsburg west rack.
I'm just sayin, you dont want 2 kayaks taking the head off of the nun, driving the church bus behind you. Then you'd be screwed getting into heaven and all god would say to you is "Thy rack was conduity!" 8)

sloboatnova Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:38 am

I would time them down to the front and rear bumpers when your done. My buddy les hauled his around on a stockish looking rack for a while. Yall might remember Oktr6r. He doesn't visit the samba as much lately.

ORANGECRUSHer Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:20 am

^ definitely going to do that. I won't be driving around with the kayaks on. Just trailering them up there. :D
thanks

HERC Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:51 pm

cool 8)
The wheels look great.