TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can I brush on rustoleum and then fine sand?
Westy Steve Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:41 pm

Hey all,

Long story short...I have a bug that was spraybombed by the P.O. I plan to discard the shell in a year or two and replace it with a ragtop shell.

In the meantime, I just want to slap something on. I have seen a bus painted with a brush and it looked OK except it had brush strokes. It seemed that those brush strokes could be sanded out. So I was thinking of brushing on paint now, then going back and doing rust repairs, then re-brush painting the repaired area. Then fine sanding and maybe applying some rattle can clear coat.

Anyone tried any part of this technique? Got pix? I know I could use foam rollers andlots of coats, but won't the fine sanding smooth it? Can I use a gloss or will the sanding scuff that off? I need to get some color on there asap and don't have time to foam roll lots of coats when I can be working on my other shell.

Any recommendations?

Steve

Bobnotch Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:06 am

Westy Steve wrote: Hey all,

Long story short...I have a bug that was spraybombed by the P.O. I plan to discard the shell in a year or two and replace it with a ragtop shell.

In the meantime, I just want to slap something on. I have seen a bus painted with a brush and it looked OK except it had brush strokes. It seemed that those brush strokes could be sanded out. So I was thinking of brushing on paint now, then going back and doing rust repairs, then re-brush painting the repaired area. Then fine sanding and maybe applying some rattle can clear coat.

Anyone tried any part of this technique? Got pix? I know I could use foam rollers andlots of coats, but won't the fine sanding smooth it? Can I use a gloss or will the sanding scuff that off? I need to get some color on there asap and don't have time to foam roll lots of coats when I can be working on my other shell.

Any recommendations?

Steve

Depending on the kind of paint you're using, you might need a hardener. I know enamels need some sort of hardener to help them dry, or for "more gloss", as I've run across that back in the day. So it really depends on the paint.
That said, I think you could wet sand out the brush strokes. :wink:

scrivyscriv Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:36 pm

Depends on what you're painting with. most guys that do the Rustoleum paint job say the foam brushes work well. Either way you can thin the paint out some and put a Japan drier in it and get a decent 10-foot driver paint job..
not saying i recommend it