TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: transmission and engine compatabillity
frankiejrtech Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:04 am

Would a, what I think is, a 1968 VW Squareback engine be fully compatible with a 33 113.301.103 C transmission? I'm not fully sure what exact engine or transmission I have. I can supply a photo or two if you need it. Thanks.

Bobnotch Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:18 am

frankiejrtech wrote: Would a, what I think is, a 1968 VW Squareback engine be fully compatible with a 33 113.301.103 C transmission? I'm not fully sure what exact engine or transmission I have. I can supply a photo or two if you need it. Thanks.

Yes, can you supply a couple of pics? I'm only asking, as I can't find that case number in the parts book.

Clatter Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:42 am

I think you are looking at the part number for the trans case casting, and not the number of the transaxle itself, which will tell you a lot more about what you have.

Keep scraping! :lol:

frankiejrtech Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:01 pm

Here are some pictures of my engine and transmission. ( sorry for the size of the pics, i still don't know how to make them smaller)

OLD VW NUT Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:57 pm

Motor looks to be a 65-67 with a 200mm clutch plate with old style collar type pressure plate - transaxle is swing axle with old style throwout bearing. Should slide right onto that transaxle. You might want to check that the flywheel is a 12v - looks like it but not positive. You'll need the right starter to mesh with it. And change to the right starter bushing in the transaxle. 12v is different size from 6v.

68 and on had fuel injection. Still - it could be a 68. To ID engine year look on the top of the case - you should see some lettering and numbers that ID the year of the engine.

Bobnotch Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:21 pm

frankiejrtech wrote: Here are some pictures

Looks like it should slide right in (almost looks like someone clearanced it for you :wink: ). You can even use the clutch you have on it. If the engine doesn't turn in the transaxle, you can grind those 4 humps down some more, so it'll go right in. Keep in mind that the trans might need a 6 to 12 volt starter bushing installed, or you can use an AT starter, and not worry about the bushing. :)