TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Split Bus ID Page: 1, 2  Next
pupafly Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:13 pm

I have a 11 window Double door bus. It has no ID plates or M code plates neither could I find a Vin Number and so the problem?!
It has front doors with ice pick handles.
It has fried egg indicator lights.
It has tail gate which is wider than the engine lid and has large glass.
It came with wood paneling for headliner and the loading area also had the same. I have removed all the panelings from the roof as well as the sides,
There were no claws on either side of the fresh air box.
It has 1/3 2/3 front seats.
The spare tire bulge behind the front seat is big with 7 bars radiating from a center circle.
What do I have? year, Model, Kombi, Micro etc
What details should the M code plat have?
What details should the Vin plate have?
Where can I find a double flipper middle seat?!

Can any one help please, thanks.

Neville

GTV Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:16 pm

Early 64

pupafly Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:24 am

Thank you, one down many more to go.

Dustin B Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:17 am

There should be a von number stamped on the body, in the engine compartment, on the right side of the engine where the apron screws on to the body It's not removable unless somebody cut it off.

If your bus originally had a two tone paint job its more then likely a standard model and if was a single color it is a kombi.

CommodoreCollector Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:22 am

GTV wrote: Early 64

The change from small window to large rear window happened in 1965. One of my buses is an early 65' before that happened.
It sounds like you have an 11-window Kombi with earlier front doors (55-61 had ice pick handles).

Split bus middle seats you can find in the classifieds.

with the VIN in the rear (as mentioned above this post) you could get a birth certificate for your bus from Germany telling you all the options it had. Then all you would have to do is get a reproduction VIN plate and M-code plate.

adriano Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:46 am

It is an early 64 standard bus. The inner is painted white like the exterior and black steering wheel, inner rear mirror.Kombi is painted only with primer.European rear lights.

My Feb 64 has the same fat hatchback.

pupafly Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:09 am

Thank you.

It appear to have a two tone paint job but not certain. The previous owner had started the restoration process and completed the mechanical and had rubbed the paint down to factory primer when he lost interest and left it in the shed in 1992 and his family decided to sell it in 2013 that is when I took over. The family knew very little about its history.
If it is a standard model should it have provision for fitting headliner? or did some standard models come without headliners.

pupafly Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:17 am

Yes, the inner is definitely painted off white, yes black steering wheel.

No sigh of any numbers in the engine compartment.

earlywesty Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:45 am

early '64 double door kombi

Clara Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:18 am

The large rear hatch was for the 64 model year- introduced Aug 1963
The ice pick door handles were used through Dec 18th 1963, when they went to push button door handles

The bus is between VIN 1 144 303 and 1 222 025
made Aug through Dec 1963

There are three places for the VIN:
the stamping in the engine compartment,
the plate on air vent or in engine compartment
and the M code tag
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php

A double flipper middle seat might be found in the classified, but very rare.
Keep looking!
Isn't someone making middle seats? get it made.

Is that a rubber mat at the bottom of the bulkhead? Show it more clearly please.

Cool model! more pics!

easy e Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:45 am

Double flipper seat seem to be rarer than hen's teeth.
Maybe talk to Koch's about grab bars:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1652676

Maybe this guy can make the seat:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1589770

Cool bus!

GTV Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:31 am

CommodoreCollector wrote: GTV wrote: Early 64

The change from small window to large rear window happened in 1965

Don't tell that to the Aug 2 1963 built bus I once had with a wide hatch.

EverettB Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:31 am

pupafly wrote: If it is a standard model should it have provision for fitting headliner? or did some standard models come without headliners.

Yes, it should. There should be clips around the front air box and various other places, although with a spiked strip near the rear hatch.

CommodoreCollector Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:26 pm

CommodoreCollector wrote: GTV wrote: Early 64

The change from small window to large rear window happened in 1965. One of my buses is an early 65' before that happened.
It sounds like you have an 11-window Kombi with earlier front doors (55-61 had ice pick handles).

with the VIN in the rear (as mentioned above this post) you could get a birth certificate for your bus from Germany telling you all the options it had. Then all you would have to do is get a reproduction VIN plate and M-code plate.

The change for large rear window happened in January 64' for all bus's. In 1965 the single cabs and double cabs changed to large window.

GTV Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:30 pm

](*,)

pupafly Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Thank you one and all for all your posts in reply to mine regarding the Double door.

In summary:

It could be an early 1964 with front doors from an earlier model [ice pick].

It could be a Kombi since it does not have clips/claws for headliner on either side of the fresh air box.

It could be a off white standard micro bus since it has painted inner and not grey primer.

Is there someone who would like to sell me a double flipper middle seat? Thank you in advance.

GTV Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:20 pm

Ice pick handles were used on early 1964 buses. Yours may be correct. Check the VIN to be certain.

If there are no headliner tabs, you have a Kombi. The paint was probably added later.

A Birth Certificate from VW will give you the M Code information.

It would probably be easier and less expensive to have a middle seat made.

Please post more pictures, you have a very unique bus.

Stocknazi Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:53 pm

CommodoreCollector wrote: CommodoreCollector wrote: GTV wrote: Early 64

The change for large rear window happened in January 64' for all bus's. In 1965 the single cabs and double cabs changed to large window. Why keep posting wrong information?
What Clara posted above ^^^ is correct.
The large rear hatch was for the 64 model year- introduced Aug 1963
The ice pick door handles were used through Dec 18th 1963, when they went to push button door handles

The bus is between VIN 1 144 303 and 1 222 025
made Aug through Dec 1963

Double door window buses are super cool, great bus.

Post pics of the inside where the headliner would be, and around the sides of the air-box.

EverettB Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:17 pm

CommodoreCollector wrote: CommodoreCollector wrote: GTV wrote: Early 64

The change for large rear window happened in January 64' for all bus's. In 1965 the single cabs and double cabs changed to large window.

You are confusing other member by posting incorrect information.

Various people above have posted the correct information.

Here are applicable changes from my VW dealer book:
Rear hatch change for 1964 models:

Truck rear window enlargement for 1966 models:

EverettB Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:20 pm

pupafly wrote: Thank you one and all for all your posts in reply to mine regarding the Double door.

In summary:

It could be an early 1964 with front doors from an earlier model [ice pick].

It could be a Kombi since it does not have clips/claws for headliner on either side of the fresh air box.

It could be a off white standard micro bus since it has painted inner and not grey primer.

Is there someone who would like to sell me a double flipper middle seat? Thank you in advance.

If there are no headliner claws it is a Kombi.
It could be a Kombi with 2-tone paint - this was an option, although not very common.
It will be difficult and expensive to find an original double flipper seat.
The last one I can remember seeing sold, which was quite some ago, was $3000.