TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Playing around St Helen's trails before AZ trip Page: 1, 2  Next
graveshaker Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:12 pm

My sons and I had a chance to go play around St. Helen's trail before vactioning in Arizona. My oldest son rides a XR400 and my youngest son is my co-pilot.

Now we're in sunny hot Arizona for two weeks. I only wish we could have brought our toys!

Grand Canyon breath taking views.

We are actually caucasian but the hot desert sun gave us a wonderful bronze tan.

mi xj Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:21 am

LOL (caucasian) .. rent a jeep out there almost as good as Mich trails.

Steve

dowha Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:03 am

It's all about making memories... Have fun...

Nice rail will watch for you on the trails..

fishybastard Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:40 am

Sweet rail! I might have to go check out those trails sometime.

InkyLewis Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:11 am

Looks like fun, hopefully I will make it up there this year.

graveshaker Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:32 am

St. Helen trail system is great. It connects with other trails that goes all the way to the Machinaw Bridge. I've only taken route 6 out about 50-60 miles. I have a huge fear of getting lost or breaking down in the middle of the boonies. I would love to hook up with someone that knows the trails. I'll be back in MI the first of July and should be back in St. Helen shortly after.

I also could not find the dune or "scramble area" for nothing so a seasoned vet would be great!

fishybastard Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:43 am

I share the same feelings about getting lost or braking down in BFE as well. I would love to go out on the trails with someone who knows the way around. I usually go uo by irons mi on the trails there. I have only done a few and that was on my quad. Havent had the rail out on the trails yet. A trail ride would be fun

Dan Rudd Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:18 am

I apologize for hijacking this but you guys seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to the trail system.

I mentioned to my son about taking our rail on some trails and he said he thought there was a 50" width limit. We're about 55" ish.
Any truth to the width limit and if so, is it enforced?

vwboat Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:34 am

Welcome to AZ and the site. Hope you all have a good time while here. Are you going to be in Phoenix?

VWBOAT(John)

graveshaker Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:38 pm

vwboat wrote: Welcome to AZ and the site. Hope you all have a good time while here. Are you going to be in Phoenix?

VWBOAT(John)

I'm in down town Phoenix staying with my Mother. Took my son to the indoor gokarts, trampoline park, wave pool, road the light rail down to Mills av. and enjoyed the evening at the park by the water. Looking for more stuff to do.

graveshaker Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:46 pm

Dan Rudd wrote: I apologize for hijacking this but you guys seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to the trail system.

I mentioned to my son about taking our rail on some trails and he said he thought there was a 50" width limit. We're about 55" ish.
Any truth to the width limit and if so, is it enforced?

The wider trails are easily identified by how wide they are compared to the more narrow ones. The trails for buggies are the same for full size trucks. Notice how wide the trails are in my picks.

GreeneHoosier Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:39 pm

LOL. Great views and nice rail.

graveshaker wrote:
Grand Canyon breath taking views.

We are actually caucasian but the hot desert sun gave us a wonderful bronze tan.

dowha Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:45 pm

In Michigan Trails Are Marked ---

White with Black Letters - Rectangle Sign "Seasonal Road"
Any Street Legal Vehicle - MUST Have a state issued license plate.

STATE FOREST ORV TRAILS - MUST Have a ORV Sticker on rear bumper.

Triangle Signs - Orange

"ORV ROUTE"- All sizes of vehicles..

"ORV TRAIL" - Vehicles with a width of 50" or less -Only-
Signs have a Four Wheeler on them..

"ORV TRAIL" - Motorcycle Only - Sign has a motorcycle on them.

Also, "Some" Snowmobile trails are open (A diamond, with a number, colors change with trail).. Some for ORV ROUTE - Some for ORV TRAIL..

Last week 14 more miles of snowmobile trails near Houghton Lake were opened for ORV ROUTE use..

Check Off Road Recreation Maps.. Several good (heavy duty) ones are available from the State of Michigan (on line) and also there are others you can pick up at ORV Sports Sores..

Hope this helps..

PS. Don't get caught on the wrong trails or going cross country.. $ $ $ They are using planes and helicopters to spot people and hav the DNR waiting for you when you come out of the woods..

graveshaker Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:15 pm

dowha wrote: In Michigan Trails Are Marked ---

White with Black Letters - Rectangle Sign "Seasonal Road"
Any Street Legal Vehicle - MUST Have a state issued license plate.

STATE FOREST ORV TRAILS - MUST Have a ORV Sticker on rear bumper.

Triangle Signs - Orange

"ORV ROUTE"- All sizes of vehicles..

"ORV TRAIL" - Vehicles with a width of 50" or less -Only-
Signs have a Four Wheeler on them..

"ORV TRAIL" - Motorcycle Only - Sign has a motorcycle on them.

Also, "Some" Snowmobile trails are open (A diamond, with a number, colors change with trail).. Some for ORV ROUTE - Some for ORV TRAIL..

Last week 14 more miles of snowmobile trails near Houghton Lake were opened for ORV ROUTE use..

Check Off Road Recreation Maps.. Several good (heavy duty) ones are available from the State of Michigan (on line) and also there are others you can pick up at ORV Sports Sores..

Hope this helps..

PS. Don't get caught on the wrong trails or going cross country.. $ $ $ They are using planes and helicopters to spot people and hav the DNR waiting for you when you come out of the woods..

Good info right here. I see you are from St. Helen, when's the next time you're going out?

BUGGUTZ Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:29 pm

Im here too. Full time, always looking for someone to run with.

Just a note: I have been down 50" trails by my house. They are alot of fun but get caught and you will wish yo stayed where you are supposed to be. Also some areas are 50" and theres no turn around and dont get caught making a turn around. Tread lightly.

graveshaker Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:08 pm

BUGGUTZ wrote: Im here too. Full time, always looking for someone to run with.

Just a note: I have been down 50" trails by my house. They are alot of fun but get caught and you will wish yo stayed where you are supposed to be. Also some areas are 50" and theres no turn around and dont get caught making a turn around. Tread lightly.

Great, I'll be back the first of July. I'll PM then and hopefully we can get together.

dowha Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:42 pm

I'll be gone over the 4th. .. Be back the 7th... The rest of Summer is mostly open... :wink:

Always looking for someone to ride with :lol:

Vanapplebomb Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:51 pm

That is a nice looking buggy. I love the purple body. Good work!

vwboat Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:22 pm

How much longer are you going to be in Phoenix?

VWBOAT(JOHN)

graveshaker Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:43 pm

vwboat wrote: How much longer are you going to be in Phoenix?

VWBOAT(JOHN)

Until July 1st.