TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Removing Inner Rocker
kenshapiro2002 Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:22 am

Doing the bottom of my '67 on the cargo door side (right). I've looked at the the sticky threads, and didn't find what I'm asking here...

Trying to remove the inner rocker; I'm assuming it was spot welded to the various cross members? New to this kinda work, so should I grind/brush until I find the spot welds? Same thing on top...assuming the inner is spot welded through the floor...grind until I find the welds?

And what about removing outriggers and jack points from top hats that are decent? Same routine?

On a side note, anybody know if Gerson is alive? Not answering e-mails or texts.

campingbox Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:04 am

It's spot welded along the bottom, top, and welded to all of the cross bars.

Schwing Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:08 am

Excellent timing Ken. I literally just removed my passenger inner rocker about 30min ago. They do not appear to be spot welded at all, in fact I can take a picture of the weld that stayed on the frame after I chiseled away the inner rocker.

It might be easier for me since I removed my treasure chest floor this weekend, but I found a wood chisel worked perfect.
I sharpened it up with my angle grinder, and chiseled down and it came off in about 10min or less, nice and clean.

I will take pics or you are free to visit. I wish I was closer I would do it for ya.

kenshapiro2002 Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:22 am

Schwing wrote: Excellent timing Ken. I literally just removed my passenger inner rocker about 30min ago. They do not appear to be spot welded at all, in fact I can take a picture of the weld that stayed on the frame after I chiseled away the inner rocker.

It might be easier for me since I removed my treasure chest floor this weekend, but I found a wood chisel worked perfect.
I sharpened it up with my angle grinder, and chiseled down and it came off in about 10min or less, nice and clean.

I will take pics or you are free to visit. I wish I was closer I would do it for ya.

Cool... Will attack mine on the other side of the Bay today.

Schwing Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:28 am

Onto the pics...

Here is the end of each frame right after using the chisel method. I will clean it up with the grinder but for now this is how it looked. To me it looks like the welds are on the sides.

If your floor is not rotten and will remain in place you can put the bus on ramps and chisel from underneath.

If you have access to the top or plan on replacing this section of floor, this is much easier. Use something with some weight, not just a regular claw hammer. Nice big hits and its quick.

kenshapiro2002 Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:38 am

Thanks. I'll report back later on "Marylanders Wreaking Havoc On Rust".

Schwing Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:39 am

campingbox wrote: It's spot welded along the bottom, top, and welded to all of the cross bars.

Maybe mine are too rusted to tell? On one of the pics I can see the remains of a spot weld but thats it.

RPGreg2600 Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:35 am

Mine was rusty enough to just rip the spot welds on the I beams with some channel lock pliers.

kenshapiro2002 Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:14 am

RPGreg2600 wrote: Mine was rusty enough to just rip the spot welds on the I beams with some channel lock pliers.

Yeah...I went the channel lock method as well and it worked fine. I removed my entire front floor last summer with channel locks!