TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Folk art Carved Wooden Beetle
felixthevolks Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi all- just added this massive carved bug to my collection and curious if anyone has a guess on its origins.

The carving is very symmetrical, with wire 'half axle' nails welded tip to tip and attached in a groove via fence staples. It is carved out of a block made by gluing 7 dense pine(?) boards together and was originally painted white. There were bumper holes but no bumpers so I went ahead and made some aluminum ones since I have no idea what was originally there. It smells old, the paint (even the over-paint) looks old. No windows or other identifiers- only detail is a small, square raised license plate. Guessing '50s and it has a split/oval-era feel to it. Carved by a returning G.I.? Old-time VWCA? Shop class? I'm calling it Megabug- the Tonka bug is there to show the beast's size.. 18" long

Hacksaw-BoB Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:09 pm

Hmmm... :roll:

Interesting :D

First time I have ever seen something like this before :!:

I "Wood Knot" know the origin ? ? ?

LowType2 Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:34 pm

I will Ash some friends and then Cherry pick the best ones Willow that be ok???

Blue Baron Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:53 am

I've never seen one before either, and I doubt it holds any extreme collector value. I'd suggest you continue turning it into something unique.

It's like a blank art canvas. You could repaint the body, paint or airbrush in windows and body details, make hubcaps, headlights and door handles, etc, using found objects. A pinstriper could paint the body lines. You could take this wood block to the next level.

79SuperVert Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Along the lines of folk art, here's a little souvenir made on Peru that I found in a souvenir shop in Old San Juan: