TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hi Build primer first then Epoxy sealer, for Laquer top coat
Roadcow Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:18 pm

I want an Oldschool paint job on my 66Ghia. I want it Black but not "new car 2 stage clear coat shiney Black". We painted our old 356 Nitrocellulose Laquer and it took a bunch of upkeep but it was easy to paint outside. I found a Soft Black at Tcpglobal in Laquer and the Ghia has the front 1/2 bare metal and the back OG Black. It's been so long since I've shot Laquer I've forgotten the sequence for the primers, help! :( :oops:

Bobnotch Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:18 am

Roadcow wrote: I want an Oldschool paint job on my 66Ghia. I want it Black but not "new car 2 stage clear coat shiney Black". We painted our old 356 Nitrocellulose Laquer and it took a bunch of upkeep but it was easy to paint outside. I found a Soft Black at Tcpglobal in Laquer and the Ghia has the front 1/2 bare metal and the back OG Black. It's been so long since I've shot Laquer I've forgotten the sequence for the primers, help! :( :oops:

I'd go with epoxy primer first (unreduced or "full strength") on the bare metal, then do your high build primer. Knock it down until it's all straight, smooth, and flat, then reduce the epoxy (turns it into a sealer), then paint it.

Keep in mind that you might have to paint it the same day that you shoot the epoxy "seal coat", as the laquer will need to bite into the epoxy (otherwise lifting can occur). At least this is the warning for DP series epoxy primer from PPG. :wink:

Roadcow Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:41 am

Thanks Bob, that makes sense. :)

Roadcow Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:08 am

I just bought the paint and 2 quarts of Epoxy primer 1 Black and 1 Red, and some Old school Laquer primar surfacer. I think that I'll put the Black epoxy on first then the primer surfacer, thin shoot the Red Epoxy as a sealer reduced some. My thought is that the Red Sealer may soften the Black paint a bit. Hope that this is correct.

Bobnotch Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:16 am

Roadcow wrote: I just bought the paint and 2 quarts of Epoxy primer 1 Black and 1 Red, and some Old school Laquer primar surfacer. I think that I'll put the Black epoxy on first then the primer surfacer, thin shoot the Red Epoxy as a sealer reduced some. My thought is that the Red Sealer may soften the Black paint a bit. Hope that this is correct.

That'll work, as it'll help you "see" the black paint, and help you get full coverage. Otherwise, you'd be painting black on black. Granted the black epoxy will be a flat black. That might help you get more coverage with less material. It's really up to you, as there's no right or wrong way to do it. :D