TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How many coats do YOU have?
67 Sunroof Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:34 am

Haha, started on my front fender stripping down to bare metal with a wire wheel attachment and count 6 layers of paint!!!!
That's right-6!
Brown, light blue, primer, dark blue, tan primer, grey primer!
Not counting the bondo in certain places either!
So how many do YOU have!!! :D
How can I tell if these are original fenders? I think they might be considering so many coats of paint!!!

kman Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:09 am

That's not too bad. You should have seen how many my 160 year old house had.

UreKem Paints Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:38 am

Sounds like 2 re-paints over the factory finish. I have seen as many as 3 re-paints. Hopefully they didn't butcher it with a lot of thick bondo to hide rust areas. You're doing the right thing taking all the way to metal at this point...good luck

67 Sunroof Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:05 am

Okay, here's what I have at this point:
4 1/2" angle grinder-single speed with a wire wheel and grinding wheels.
6" sanding 80grit flap discs

I also have a variable speed orbital (griots garage) NICE buffer. I thought of buying an adapter for the orbital buffer and using the 80 grit flap discs on the buffer because it's variable speed? Is this a silly idea?

kman Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:08 pm

'67 Sunroof wrote: Okay, here's what I have at this point:
4 1/2" angle grinder-single speed with a wire wheel and grinding wheels.
6" sanding 80grit flap discs

I also have a variable speed orbital (griots garage) NICE buffer. I thought of buying an adapter for the orbital buffer and using the 80 grit flap discs on the buffer because it's variable speed? Is this a silly idea?

No. That's what I do except I use regular hook and loop 6" 80 grit on a soft backing, but I like the variable speed.

67 Sunroof Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Okay I need a hook and loop adapter for my griots garage buffer now. I think it will work as we'll.
thanks man!!!

scrivyscriv Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:59 am

This works great and doesn't wear down the metal like the sanding wheels do:

http://m.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-nylon-a...20provided

Harbor Freight polycarbide abrasive wheel

67 Sunroof Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:14 am

I saw those yesterday in lowes..
It's like a thick scotch pad material coated with a plastic-like coating? I want something that won't heat the metal up too much and warp it. What grit is it? It doesn't specify.
I see it also has a 90 day warranty! Sweet! I can buff the hell out of everything and take it back if it wears out.
(Being sarcastic):)

scrivyscriv Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:26 am

It's somewhere around 60-80 grit, made out of a hard composite material.. Lowes and Home Depot want around $8/ea for them and they do wear out, so if you have a harbor freight around I recommend their version. Does the same job, lasts just as long(short), and costs $4-5 each.