TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New Master Cylinder dual from Single...pushrod problem?!
mball716 Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:31 pm

I've finally gotten pedal pressure after bleeding and bleeding, with a bad "new" master cylinder replaced with another new one. So now I'm getting nothing but fluid from all corner bled front to back being a dual now. I just can't get enough pressure to push hard enough to apply decent pressure to stop the car. So my original pushrod is in there still. I've read that I need to get a longer pushrod but read that It shouldn't be a problem from others.

Help!! Am I not pushing the master in far enough with the original pushrod? Going crazy over here!

Thanks

Erik G Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:38 pm

I think you still have air somewhere. I'd let it settle a while, and re-bleed. When I converted to 68 dual from 65 single, I didnt touch the pushrod at all

racoguy Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:28 pm

mball716 wrote: I've finally gotten pedal pressure after bleeding and bleeding, with a bad "new" master cylinder replaced with another new one. So now I'm getting nothing but fluid from all corner bled front to back being a dual now. I just can't get enough pressure to push hard enough to apply decent pressure to stop the car. So my original pushrod is in there still. I've read that I need to get a longer pushrod but read that It shouldn't be a problem from others.

Help!! Am I not pushing the master in far enough with the original pushrod? Going crazy over here!

Thanks

Drum brakes?
Make sure you adjust the shoes all the way against the drums before bleeding your brakes.
You can almost adjust the shoes to the point of being locked, bleed brakes then re adjust shoes.

mball716 Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:16 pm

At least I know that this master is working... I may just pull the pushrod and make a longer rod anyways. My cars a 66 w/front discs. I just can not believe this should take this long to bleed

KTPhil Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:33 pm

Adjust your pedal stop to have about 8-1/2" between the pedal tip and the bulkhead. Then adjust the pushrod length to have 1mm play at the rod (10mm at the pedal tip).

mball716 Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Pedal stop? I don't even have remnants or a bracket of any kind of stop. :oops: We've restored a couple early Porsches, karmann ghias and a beetle and don't remember seeing this. Guess i better get my Bentley out.

I've got my pedal adjusted to the minimal play suggested at the top, 15mm of free play before contact.

KTPhil Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:47 pm

mball716 wrote: Pedal stop? I don't even have remnants or a bracket of any kind of stop. :oops: We've restored a couple early Porsches, karmann ghias and a beetle and don't remember seeing this. Guess i better get my Bentley out.

I've got my pedal adjusted to the minimal play suggested at the top, 15mm of free play before contact.

mball716 Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:11 am

KTPhil wrote: mball716 wrote: Pedal stop? I don't even have remnants or a bracket of any kind of stop. :oops: We've restored a couple early Porsches, karmann ghias and a beetle and don't remember seeing this. Guess i better get my Bentley out.

Yeah I definitely don't have that stop as my pedal will travel very close to the fire wall, well now that I'm still having issues getting all the air out of the system... I'll have to do some more investigating I guess. I've had the car for 5 years, first time dealing with the brakes other than pads/shoes. I'm assuming I'll be ok with out that?

Thanks guys.