TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Torsion Index Chart
fischer68westy Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:37 pm

I replaced the tranny in my '65 and now it has a bit of a "squat".
I want to adjust the spring plates and know there is a combination of inner and outer splines that need to be changed.
I've heard there is an indexing chart that will aid in determining the correct spline adjustment, but haven't had any luck locating it.

Anyone have a link they can forward?

Thanks

BarryL Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:27 am

Yes that chart shows up now and again. I don't know how to find it but was you old transaxle "squatting"? If not then what is different? Could your side covers be too tight?

fischer68westy Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:51 am

The bus was lowered and I put it back to stock.

mandraks Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:04 am

fischer68westy wrote: The bus was lowered and I put it back to stock.

is it even side to side? if so, just change it one click at a time, small changes on the outside, bigger changes on the inside.

If it is uneven side to side it is a little harder.

sambaphil Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:55 pm

Old thread, but here is the chart. I tried to find it for a long time.

Help Help Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:36 pm

I got some advice a while back that was priceless in terms of how much to change inner/outer to get the right change in the end and that was to:

1) put the back of the bus on jackstands so that is it's parallel with your garage floor.

2) disassemble the trailing arm assembly so that the axle is removed from the trailing arm and the trailing arm is allowed to sit/hang naturally outside of the torsion housing.

3) measure the distance from the bottom of the end of the trailing arm where the axle attaches to the floor.

4) manipulate the torsion bar so that new measurement is the same as the height change you are looking for. i.e. if it's one inch up and the measurement was 9", it's now 10"

5) repeat step 4 on the other side matching the end measurement.

6) reassemble

This turns out to be much faster than trying count splines.

cdennisg Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:51 pm

Help Help wrote: I got some advice a while back that was priceless in terms of how much to change inner/outer to get the right change in the end and that was to:

1) put the back of the bus on jackstands so that is it's parallel with your garage floor.

2) disassemble the trailing arm assembly so that the axle is removed from the trailing arm and the trailing arm is allowed to sit/hang naturally outside of the torsion housing.

3) measure the distance from the bottom of the end of the trailing arm where the axle attaches to the floor.

4) manipulate the torsion bar so that new measurement is the same as the height change you are looking for. i.e. if it's one inch up and the measurement was 9", it's now 10"

6) reassemble

I have been trying to convince people of this method for years. Folks get hung up on spline count and protractors when tape measure will do all you need.

mandraks Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:21 pm

cdennisg wrote: Help Help wrote: I got some advice a while back that was priceless in terms of how much to change inner/outer to get the right change in the end and that was to:

6) reassemble

I have been trying to convince people of this method for years. Folks get hung up on spline count and protractors when tape measure will do all you need.

totally agree

never used a special tool or counted splines.... i just took a level car and changed both sides the same until i liked it.

If they were not level, i made them level first..