TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1641 mahle piston/barrel
ONE707BAMF Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:19 pm

I'm building a type 1 1641. I purchased years ago new mahle piston/barrel set. I'm just getting to building this engine and 1 piston/barrel is rusted!!! Does anyone know if I can buy them individual? Does anyone have a partial set?

Danwvw Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:57 pm

Air Cooled.Net probably has single's I would get the piston too to make sure you have a good fit. Are they the cast or the forged Mahle's I think there may be several different versions of Mahle 85.5 Piston and cylinders.

If the rust is not too deep a machine shop can clean it up for you.

RPGreg2600 Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:28 pm

ONE707BAMF wrote: I'm building a type 1 1641. I purchased years ago new mahle piston/barrel set. I'm just getting to building this engine and 1 piston/barrel is rusted!!! Does anyone know if I can buy them individual? Does anyone have a partial set?

Let's see a pic of that rust. Might be a better investment to purchase a cylinder hone than a replacement cylinder. I have honed pretty rusty cylinders with no problems. As long as it isn't deep rust. You can scrap the rust with a razor blade and hone the cylinder.

blaine142 Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:43 am

RPGreg2600 wrote: ONE707BAMF wrote: I'm building a type 1 1641. I purchased years ago new mahle piston/barrel set. I'm just getting to building this engine and 1 piston/barrel is rusted!!! Does anyone know if I can buy them individual? Does anyone have a partial set?

Let's see a pic of that rust. Might be a better investment to purchase a cylinder hone than a replacement cylinder. I have honed pretty rusty cylinders with no problems. As long as it isn't deep rust. You can scrap the rust with a razor blade and hone the cylinder.
this.