TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Crank Won't Turn After New Pulley
DuneSluggy Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:34 am

Hi all, I'm hoping I haven't just really screwed up. I am rebuilding a dune buggy and when I went to install the belt, noticed that the pulleys were out of alignment which we later discovered was because the crank pulley wasn't on all the way.

Being the super patient soul that I am, I used a plastic dead blow mallet to get it seated (nothing Hulk Smash or anything, just steady, measured blows). Well now the crank seems to be seized and I can't turn it by hand whereas I was able to up until this point.

I am sincerely hoping that I haven't caused a major problem. I appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer. Thanks in advance!

RPGreg2600 Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:45 pm

Use a puller to remove the pulley and inspect for carnage.

In the future, do not use a hammer. best to lube the pulley where it slides onto the crank (I like to use a light film of anti-sieze) then heat the pulley up a bit (heat gun works, or put it on top of the stove on a burner for a minute, or propane torch) and it should easily slide all the way home by hand. Never ever force it on with a hammer!

[email protected] Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:48 pm

DuneSluggy wrote: Hi all, I'm hoping I haven't just really screwed up. I am rebuilding a dune buggy and when I went to install the belt, noticed that the pulleys were out of alignment which we later discovered was because the crank pulley wasn't on all the way.

Being the super patient soul that I am, I used a plastic dead blow mallet to get it seated (nothing Hulk Smash or anything, just steady, measured blows). Well now the crank seems to be seized and I can't turn it by hand whereas I was able to up until this point.

I am sincerely hoping that I haven't caused a major problem. I appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer. Thanks in advance!

Can you post a picture? My best guess without a picture is that the pulley is hitting the bolts or studs for the oil pump. OR someone installed a sandseal pulley without the spacer behind the pulley. Once it was tightened, it locked up the motor.

DuneSluggy Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Absolutely, lesson learned about the hammer.

I will post a picture asap. You may be able to see the pulley from this pic, but not the back where it sits against the case.

Dale M. Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:45 pm

Remove pulley and inspect then start over.... Suspect pulley is to far in and jaming something...They make spacers for pulley with short snout...

Dale

mark tucker Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:08 pm

or it pushed the key up the groove and effed up the pully pushing it into the case.pull it & see just what happened. if it was working at 1 time thats probably it. if it's new it might need a pully spacer kit..

kingkarmann Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:34 am

You will have much better luck using a propane torch and patience along with a pulley puller to get that pulley off. Heat is your friend 8)