TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: rear engine seal - sheet metal
ugmold Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:38 am

Hi folks Happy 4th.
I decided to replace the rotted engine seal, the U shaped 4.5 foot long rubber piece. 1st problem is removing the sheet metal. I removed 6 bolts (5 one was missing) and I can lift the front part, but the rear that butts up to the weather-stripping just pivots there, I thought it might be that latch catch, but no. Tapped a little with hammer....?

Now the new seal look a bit different from the old (Old: one flap of rubber that is mounted in a channel) (New: 2 flaps with one edge that looks like it would fit in a channel, might be correct, just can't tell with the metal in there still.

Ideas? 93 degrees in the shad :x
Thanks much,
-ugmold

busdaddy Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:49 am

Assuming this is a pre 72 bay we are discussing have you removed the rear facing bolts on the back of the apron?

ugmold Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:57 am

Sorry,
It is a 1970 Bus Daddy. I looked at those and thought they looked over kill to hold the sheet metal in place, couldn't tell looking under the bus either.

But if that will do it, then I'm back to the heat.

Thanks BD

ugmold Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Just re-read, outside of the compartment, visible with hatch closed? The 4 13mm bolts?

busdaddy Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Yes :wink:

ugmold Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:24 pm

Wow,
I didn't expect that (lol) I had no idea the tin and the body metal were one piece?
I thought it would be like my old bug, just a pice of tin that popped out.

Anyway, pulled the old seal out and the channel looks good. Haven't cleaned out the channel that runs thru the tin that is still in the bus (front part), that stuff is either brittle or gooey (battery side) and will have to be picked out in pieces.

Now the new seal has 2 flaps instead of one, is this an improvement? Should one flap go under and one flap go on top?

Thanks BD.

-ug

ugmold Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:43 pm

oh boy,

Well I fought with this for about 3 hours, heat and humidity didn't help. I think I have the channels clean but still tough to get them to go all the way in. Now, the new seal looks like this one, except the ends are fused.
http://www.partsplaceinc.com/uploads/images/products/large/22404f.jpg

I tried putting the seal on the rear section first and then trying to do the inside channels. I tried installing into the front section, then into the rear piece and I can't seem to get it, rubber pops out of the channel, or won't move well when bunched up. Tried oil on it, grease on it, dry.

I'll give it another go tomorrow.

-ugmold

busdaddy Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:50 pm

On a bus you have to cut the seal into 3 pieces (one each side on the body and the curved back part on the apron), bugs use the full seal, buses not. Clean grooves and lube usually work with some stretching and swearing, if it seems long don't cut off the excess as it'll shrink in a week.

As for the 1 flap 2 flap thing try it either way, a flap on each side of the tin will likely seal better but sometimes it's just impossible to get under all the way around, the lower flap also makes valve cover removal a pain.

Don't give up, sounds like you are close. :D

ugmold Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:17 pm

If I cut it into 3 pcs it would make it much easier. The old one I took out was in 3 pcs. The inside rubber was the two flap like my new seal, although it was badly rotted, the outside was single and in much better shape, probably the only one the PO replaced.

Perhaps I will offset the flaps slightly for a better seal (?)

Thanks again for the help BD, I'll let you know how it comes out.

Happy 4th (fireworks in background already)

-Ug

69rulz Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:51 pm

taking the engine out and doing this, is quicker than trying to get that seal in without taking it out.

jtauxe Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:01 pm

ugmold wrote: Happy 4th (fireworks in background already)

-Ug
But how can that be? It's still only July 3rd! :-k

busdaddy Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:21 pm

jtauxe wrote: ugmold wrote: Happy 4th (fireworks in background already)

-Ug
But how can that be? It's still only July 3rd! :-k
Started here last night (1/2 mile from the US border), and some pretty big booms too :?

ugmold Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:49 am

My Town pretty much loves fireworks year round, especially on the Lake here. The Boston Pops 4th Extravaganza on the Esplanade was also pushed up to last night due to sever weather threats. They had to evacuate it early last night because of thunder and lightning. And next we have Hurricane Arthur coming up the Coast as I speak, although I don't mind because I Surf, just hope there is no damage.

Happy 3rd.[/quote]

ugmold Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Cutting into 3 pcs certainly helped, still a bit of a bugger. Might have been easier is I didn't fight to have the two flaps on top. I settled for one above, one below, which actually looks correct after I got it in. The 3 pcs seemed to butt up against each other well too, I did leave the excess as Bus Daddy said it would shrink up a bit. Wished I hadn't taken off that hatch/catch, that was a little bit of chore given the tin isn't all that flat there.

Thanks a lot for the help BD, The Samba has the best help.

-ugmold

TomWesty Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:54 am

Yes. I can't imagine doing this job with the engine in place though....