TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 36hp valve sizes
daswooshie46 Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:10 pm

I need to replace the valves and valve seats on my '59 1200cc 36hp and I'm not entirely sure what size I need to get. When I pulled them out, they were extremely worn and corroded so I'm having trouble getting a read on them but they seem to be in the 30ish mm range. I'm having a hard time finding anything out about them but I think I read something before that the valves are 30mm and 31.5mm. Is that correct? also I'm having trouble finding any new ones under 32mm or 35mm. Anyone know of any good places to look?

Zundfolge1432 Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:30 pm

Wolfsburg west

Eric&Barb Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:02 pm

Try a search of the classifieds for "36 HP valves"?

type 1 or type 2 parts reference manuals will show the size used.

http://oacdp.org/type1part.html

daswooshie46 Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:11 pm

I've got the sizes at 30mm intake and 28.6mm exhaust. Finding the valve seats is going to be the hard part

Eric&Barb Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:39 am

For the valve seats would try Rimco and see if they have the parts and will machine them in.

Mr. Motorhead Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:22 am

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Wolfsburg west

They carry no seats, but they do have valves.

Eric&Barb wrote: For the valve seats would try Rimco and see if they have the parts and will machine them in.

I wouldn't.......the last set I had done a few years back they put in some ridiculous thick seats because they didn't have a seat pocket cutter small enough. Hopefully they have upgraded their tooling since then. As for seats, you may try a motorcycle machine shop for something of the right size and quality. Then there is that other thing........finding a shop with small cutters to fit the seat and set the stem height in the right place.

daswooshie46 Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:50 am

After some intensive cleaning, Iv'e found both of my current heads are cracked. I already have a new set of used ones on the way so I'm hoping the seats in them are still usable