TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Beetle Engine help!!
BoothyVW Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:01 am

Hey, i purchased a 62 beetle, if your standing at the back of the car, the hole is at the bottom left side of the sump, it had an ear plug wedged in it lol. I bought the car knowing it wasnt running (didnt know about the hole). this is my first vw and want to know my best option for trying, whether its an easy fix or replace. I've been told several things to do like tap a thread in and loctite a bolt, chemiweld, or replace the sump. im just after some advice. and maybe some ideas on what caused it lol

jspbtown Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:04 am

Well you can't replace the sump since it is part of the case.

I guess you can try some JBWeld. It won't hurt anything. It would have to be spotlessly clean before you attempt it. I guess you can also try to drill and tap it. Coat any tap with heavy grease to try to make sure you capture any debris so they don't get into the sump.

No idea what might have caused it. Casting flaw? Road debris? Dropped on something?

Dale M. Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:38 am

Ideally you should have professionally TIG welded.... BUT then you have to tear it down to have work done....

IF you just want to keep it running..... IF its not leaking don' t fix it.... Simplest solution would be to clean area really well and try JB Weld....

IF you are brave.... They make something called a "self threading sealing bolt"....

Better quality hardware stores usually have them... Get size appropriate to hole...

Dale

mark tucker Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:22 am

now thats a back yard mechanic!! or rather roof top....but the case is junk, so....if it works do it. then clean with breakleen&jb the heck out of it so the bolt dont fall out.

BoothyVW Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:52 pm

thanks so much for your help!!! gonna get some jb weld, gonna flush the engine with diesel to make sure no unknown crap is in it, new plugs and leads. ill post the progress in a week or so :)

Matthew Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:15 pm

I'd stick the ear plug back in and see if you can make it run (oil in crankcase) before spending time patching the hole. Looks like it's been full of water and corroded a hole in there. Does it turn over?

Brian71 Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Drill it out and tap it for 1/8" NPT. If you're going to the trouble of flushing it with diesel, you'll more than likely get any remaining chips out. Then, you can either utilize it for an oil temperature sender or plug it up legit.