TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Distributor and Carb questions
fireemtdave Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:58 am

First is what distributor is this? I see I have 2 vacuum ports, where does each port get hooked to? (Previous owner had them blocked off) Dual carb setup seems to run well, any input,knowledge, into these carbs I should be aware off. Overall the buggy seems to run fine bouncing around our 2 acres.

tasb Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:01 pm

You have a dual vacuum dual advance distributor. Hopefully the PO se it up to give you 30 degrees of maximum advance because otherwise you are wasting a lot of power and fuel.. Ideally you will want a mechanical only advance distributor when running dual carburetors.

flat4powerhouse Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:26 am

ya the dual vac dizzy used on the later bugs think 71 and above. One vac line to retard the timing at idle for emissions reasons.The other is to adv for driving

fireemtdave Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:19 pm

So should I run a vacuum line to 1 carb and port and another line to other carb for other port?

dustymojave Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:30 pm

the lines need to be routed to the CORRECT port in the correct location in the carb to get the right vacuum signal to the distributor so it will work. It would NOT do to have both sides of the diaphragm receiving the same suction at the same time.