TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Window Seals Page: 1, 2  Next
dpetteng Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:24 am

So in my square I have the ISP seals and trims that don't fit great. I have started to find some nos trims but cant find any window seals with the correct profile channel for the original trim.

Does anyone make seals for the original trim?

Brent Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:29 am

The latest seals from ISP for the last few years have a pretty good reputation. Perhaps you have older ones or are installing them improperly?

Which window seals are you talking about? I used all ISP seals and was very happy with them.

68moose Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:20 am

I just put all new ISP seals in my square. Trim fit great.

dpetteng Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:13 am

I didn't fit them so you could be right, do you have any pics of the fitted seals and trims, especially at the corners?

68moose Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:46 am

i know the probably with the old seals were the corners. They were not made well, the new design has molded corners and the fit is much better than before.

dpetteng Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:01 pm

does anyone have pictures of the fitted ISP seals and trims?

KTPhil Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:47 pm

dpetteng wrote: does anyone have pictures of the fitted ISP seals and trims?

Help us help you, by answering the question asked above: "Which window seals are you talking about?"

dpetteng Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:02 am

Apologies, they are new versions of the ISP seals bought a year ago with the moulded corners and the trims to go with them. All windows.

Mike Fisher Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:22 am

We used the ISP seal with my original trim and it looks good, but the new seal is a little narrower than the original seal.

KTPhil Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:54 am

It used to be you usually had to settle for thinner (Bug profile) rubber and poor corner fit.

The latest ISPwest seals were installed on my late fastback when they restored it, and they fit like OEM... large profile and fitted corners. I ran it through our single but intense rainstorm last spring and they leaked not one drop. This included the popouts.

Your square will have different rear and side windows so I can't speak to how those fit specifically.

Chino_UK Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:58 am

Another thumbs up for recent ISP seals here, fitted them with original trim, front and back on my Fastback a few months back whilst putting a new headlining in. Seem a good fit and no leaks through a few Manchester downpours.

dpetteng Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:52 pm

seems like mine have been fitted badly. Does anyone have any pics?

Bobnotch Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:55 pm

KTPhil wrote: It used to be you usually had to settle for thinner (Bug profile) rubber and poor corner fit.

The latest ISPwest seals were installed on my late fastback when they restored it, and they fit like OEM... large profile and fitted corners. I ran it through our single but intense rainstorm last spring and they leaked not one drop. This included the popouts.

Your square will have different rear and side windows so I can't speak to how those fit specifically.

Can anybody comment on a rear Notch window seal? Looking to get a seal and the trim. Is this a "blocked" seal? Don't want to have to buy another in 6 months to 3 years because it's cracking. Don't want to have to make multiple attempts at getting it to go in. Or have to futze with getting the trim to fit the groove. :roll: Anybody selling this? I'm in the mid west, so taking it to a place (like ISP) is out of the question. I know this IS a problem, but some of us DO live outside of California. :shock:

vlad01 Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:36 pm

I have one, same as the front with molded corners and wider type 3 profile.

Currently the only seal not molded or 100% correct profile is the notch side window seals for fixed glass, fasty and square are fully molded at the corners for all the glass in the car.

That said, I haven't fitted anything of them other than the side windows.

bluebullseye Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:49 am

I'm putting my order together for all of my window rubber/seals/trim from ISP. Was very glad to see this discussion thread. Sounds like the ISP gear is the way to go as long as it is installed properly.

Mike Fisher Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:48 am

I tried to talk Tram into using one of my good used windshield seals, but no he had to have a new ISP skinny bug profile seal! :evil:

dpetteng Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:51 pm

So does anyone have pics so I can work out what they should look like when fitted correctly?

Tram Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:25 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: I tried to talk Tram into using one of my good used windshield seals, but no he had to have a new ISP skinny bug profile seal! :evil:

LOL- your good used seals were weathercracked and stiff.

vlad01 Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: I tried to talk Tram into using one of my good used windshield seals, but no he had to have a new ISP skinny bug profile seal! :evil:

??? I got ISP ones and they are slight wider than the originals due to the shrinkage.

Those must be the old ISP ones not the new one Mike.

16CVs Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:36 am

Using ISP seals on a Customers Squareback with chrome. Rear and 1/4 s just fell in . Trim fits tightly in rubber and stays put when handled.
Front glass seal , trim groove seems to large and trim pops out when roped in. Rubber will not fit against body to be able to pull rubber lip over. May be old non factory glass causing issue. It seems odd that rear rubber holds trim firmly and front it is loosey goosey. Rubber does seem to be formed but just does not want to fit. I will let it sit and acclimate for a day or two and pull it back out and tape trims to rubber and try again. Am tempted to have customer buy seal from Wcm OR BILL AND Steves and see how it works.
I am a seasoned glass guy and A VW guy on top of it and can not get this seal to work.
What are other people experience with WCM and Bill And Steves,are they just re selling ISP.

Stacy