TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I want more noise
miliceman Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:37 am

I want to make more noise. I dream to get the Beetle sound that I've heard a lot of times when I was Young. The stock muffler dosen't do what I want, and I need a little bit more.

I've got from a garage nearby this muffler, who is a copy of a Monza muffler. I've grind all the rust and paint it BBQ black, and I wish, put it on my car.

Then I lift the car, and found that my OEM muffler is attach to heat exchangers, and have 3 connections on each side, and not 2 like my "new" muffler.

Can I install it whitout connect it to heat exchangers? If no, what I can do to get more noise, and getting a look like this?

miliceman Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:40 am

Oh, and by the way, how I can remove the passenger top door pin? I've buy a new pin with thread to install a Mirror, but I can't remove the OEM door pin. Thanks!

pondoras box Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:53 am

Right inside of the stock muffler you will find a clamp system with a fiber doughnut, you can see it in your pictures. just remove the stock muffler from there back and leve the heater boxes bolted to the car. At the rear of the engine you will see where you can unbolt the exhaust from the head, remove the two bolts on each side and the stock exhaust can be removed from the car. Use a lot of penetration oil on these nuts and take your time the studs are prone to breaking off due to heat and rust seizing the nuts in place.

Looking from inside the engine compartment you will see where the heat risers for the carb bolts to the stock muffler, two bolts per side these need to be removed as well. there is not a connection for this system on your new exhaust you will be effectively removing the intake preheat system with this exhaust. Shouldn't be a problem if you are not driving during the cold winter months.

Get a new clamp kit and replace your old muffler with the Borla system and go make some noise!

crvc Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:52 pm

miliceman wrote: Oh, and by the way, how I can remove the passenger top door pin? I've buy a new pin with thread to install a Mirror, but I can't remove the OEM door pin. Thanks!

I had to take the door to a machinist. He was able to replace the stock pin with one that allows adding a passenger side mirror. Considering the huge noise it made when pressing the pin out, I doubt I could have done it myself using a hammer and steel punches.

crvc