TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lower Pulley Tin
Duuuuuuuuuude Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:17 pm

We have a 1200cc 40hp Beetle and we're looking for the Lower Pulley Tin. I'm not sure if the one in the photo below is for a 1200cc. We do have the breather tube coming out of the bottom of our oil filler, so I know we need the hole for that.

Would a 1600cc Lower Pulley Tin fit? Or do we have to get one specifically for a 1200cc?

And would one with a part number that starts with a 113 (113-119-533/L) mean it's for a 1200cc?

Thanks guys.

Eric&Barb Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:44 pm

Lots of good info here, especially the parts reference manuals there. If you left click on the "Upcoming" near the top, you can find the type 1 parts reference manual.

http://oacdp.org/

OK, the "113", the first "1" tells you the part was originally designed for the type 1, if it was a "2" it would be for a type 2 AKA bus or truck. The "13" tells you the model, in this case "2 door sedan, De Luxe Model LHD". If it was "81" it would be a Thing part or "43" a Ghia coupe part.

The next "1" tells you it is in the engine parts which is the first main group (chapter) in the parts manuals. "2" is for "fuel tank, exhaust, heater pipes". "3" is "transmission". Etc...

The rest of the numbers is the part number and any Letter suffix is the new and improved model of the part.

Do you have the rear engine tin? If so, post an image. No you can not mix 40 HP tin with 1300/1500/1600 tin

glutamodo Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:48 pm

Hey, I recognize that photo! (it's mine) and I remember right, I may have took it to illustrate what was described here, from the Workshop Manual where it talks about fitting a "down pipe" on the oil filler to the early-mid 60s 40HP engines that lacked it: