TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: ignition on,brake lights on
tsoupee Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:44 pm

does anyone know why my brake lites come on when i turn my ignition to the on position? i have a 67 vert and replaced the master cylinder,lines.could it be the switches,or maybe a short somewhere?

drscope Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:09 pm

Yep. You can check the switches by simply unplugging them one at a time and seeing if the light goes out.

tsoupee Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:28 pm

i did unplug switches and the lights did go out. so my switches are bad?

jjohnson67 Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:43 pm

1 or both. The lights come on when the pedal is push completing the curcuit. If funk is in there the light will come on with the key cause the brakes are powered with the switch.

glutamodo Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:42 pm

So you replaced the master cylinder recently... Did you set up the pedal so there's a bit of freeplay before the pushrod contacts the m/c?

Are these new switches or did you re-use your old ones? Some new switches are pretty bad in quality. If you had German ones before I'd be tempted to reuse them. If you get new switches I'd buy German ones, even though they are pretty expensive.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113945515CGR

tsoupee Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:21 pm

i replaced the m/c because of this and a weak pedal. but used the old switches cause they didn't have them. so much for cutting corners! not to be done with brakes or anything else for that matter. my end play is at least 3/4 inch