TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Leaky fuel pump
tysonfunk Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:54 pm

Just replaced the fuel pump in my 73 1776. At first it didn't seem to want to pump fuel. It turns over and sputters up but doesn't fully start. When I towed it back to my shop and parked it on a small incline, it started dripping rapidly out of where the top housing fastens to the lower part of the pump.

The pump was given to me, its used and it was working when it was in the previous vehicle.

Any idea as to whats happening and any solutions?

Thanks.

74 Thing Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:44 pm

Yes, the diaphram is torn. Thow it out and buy yourself a new one.

Q-Dog Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:38 am

If the pump looks like this one, it is rebuildable and much better than the $20 throwaway pumps most places now sell.

Also, if a pump has been run a while, then left to sit and dry out for a while, the diaphram gets brittle and will fail.

Cusser Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:32 am

Q-Dog wrote: Also, if a pump has been run a while, then left to sit and dry out for a while, the diaphragm gets brittle and will fail.

That happened to me once, the engine had sat for 9 years. So had to replace the fuel pump and the Weber carburetor's accelerator pump diaphragm to get back into service.

udidwht Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Yes, if the pump is removed and left to sit the diaphragm/s will dry out and shrink slightly causing some gas leakage. If your lucky tightening the fasteners up should remedy the issue.