TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cargo Rocker Strengthener
kenshapiro2002 Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:57 am

Getting ready to re-do my inner rocker and outer rocker. The KF outer comes with the strengthener as a separate piece. Is it correct to weld the strengthener to the outer rocker first, then weld that entire piece to the inner? And if that's the way to go, how did ya'll weld the strengthener to the outer?

BarryL Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:59 pm

Not the only way but what I did. Page 8 also. Scroll down 2/3 page: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...;start=160

kenshapiro2002 Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks...I'll be following on your path Barry.

Schwing Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:31 pm

Ken are you saying there are 3 pieces? Inner, outer, and strengthener? I had always thought that inner and strengthener were the same thing. I removed my original and saved it to compare to the new Gerson piece, and its only made up of 2 pieces - Inner/outer. Take note of that grey primer which put us all in this situation in the first place :). Maybe I am confused here, or maybe Gerson has made some type of improvement in the actual structure?

kenshapiro2002 Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:34 pm

Think it's because you have a SC. Nobody stepping on that that rocker like when there's a cargo door opening above it.

Schwing Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:45 pm

kenshapiro2002 wrote: Think it's because you have a SC. Nobody stepping on that that rocker like when there's a cargo door opening above it.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks Ken.
Let me know when your metal shows up and I can pop over and shoot the shit.

kenshapiro2002 Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:05 pm

Metal has been here and is partially installed. Two outta three top hats repaired...one of the two outriggers installed. Only doing right side right now. Love to get together, but you have a REAL job, right? I work on my bus while you go to work!

Schwing Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:24 pm

kenshapiro2002 wrote: Metal has been here and is partially installed. Two outta three top hats repaired...one of the two outriggers installed. Only doing right side right now. Love to get together, but you have a REAL job, right? I work on my bus while you go to work!

Oh nice! Yup I have a day job in corporate america. I can figure out when to get over there, who knows maybe take a half day or something.

kenshapiro2002 Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Sounds good. Btw, when I tore MY cargo rocker off there was no strengthener in there. It was not OG...and whomever did the "fix" actually attached a new outer rocker right to the OG one. Talk about effed up!

KombiMarc Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:50 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...mp;start=0

3/4 way down, in hinsdsight, wich I had saved myself a bunch of time and used the HF spot welder, but turned out great.

Good luck, go slow, fit fit fit then weld, lol..

kenshapiro2002 Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:10 am

VERY helpful stuff... thanks.

Schwing Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:04 am

Hey Ken since this is a NE bus I assume you are replacing your jackpoints too? I can only assume you have to do the jackpoints before you do the inner rocker and strengthener.

Just wondering what others are doing and thought it may be related to the work you are doing?

By the way I am ready to weld in my rear crossmember and both rear outriggers, it just got too late last night.

kenshapiro2002 Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:49 am

Schwing wrote: Hey Ken since this is a NE bus I assume you are replacing your jackpoints too? I can only assume you have to do the jackpoints before you do the inner rocker and strengthener.

Just wondering what others are doing and thought it may be related to the work you are doing?

By the way I am ready to weld in my rear crossmember and both rear outriggers, it just got too late last night.

Yes...jack points as well. The strengthener is irrelevant to that since the strengthener gets welded to the rocker before it is installed...just so happens that KF ships them as two parts. Haven't thought about it yet. Why couldn't I do the jack points dead last if I so chose? This is not a rhetorical question...I'm really asking. :D

kenshapiro2002 Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:37 pm

I've installed the inner rocker. The jack points are going to go on next, so I can POR-15 what will be hidden once the floor is on.