TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Take it down to metal or not?
67 Sunroof Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:31 pm

Okay, I'm in the process of takin about 5-6 layers of paint off. For example, I did my passenger door today and find three small dings that were filled with bondo. I sanded it all the way down to bare metal. My friend said to leave it alone-that I was creating more work for myself. I'm thinking that I will be able to prep the surface properly for an OK job later on down the line.
What do you think?

jpjohns Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 am

If you want proper body work and a good paint job I'd take it to as much metal as possible. Why do you think people media blast their cars, other than it being quicker. It gets you to metal and you can see all that is bad.

67 Sunroof Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:59 am

That's my thinking-only found a little bondo in the front fender so far....
Doing one panel at a time...

Thrasher22 Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Its definitely the best way and the only way to know for sure what the condition of things are, but as your friend said, you're going to create a LOT more work for yourself.

On one hand, you'll know there is no rust. On the other, you'll now have to fill, work all those dents out which otherwise were probably fine.

Unless you think that it had been last painted with an oil based paint, then strip it all off if you're not planning on using the same.