TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shortened dual quiet packs?
smkn_vw Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:06 am

Anybody remember Kenny Carvalho's red chopped top with gold flames in Hawaii (Kapahulu) in the 80's? One of the fastest street bugs he would only bring it out once in awhile. Anyway he had a shortened dual exhaust for all out performance that had a slight stinger sound to it, was it custom or is there one on the market?

manoa Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:12 pm

Yup, those mini quiet packs sure looked restrictive. Mean brap, brap, brap like a stinger. Had to be custom made like all his other wizardry with his vw.

smkn_vw Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Wow! Omg thanks so much for posting the pic! Talk about history that's it one of the finer done chops and that thing was quick spanking everybody that wanted a go. But knowing crazy Kenny he probably added another 15% hp himself being in the drivers seat lol. I agree looking at the exhaust does look like he custom made it.

I have an exhaust sticks too far out and looks like the worst crap ever. I was about to order the Berg GB 971A-2M dual quiet pack hoping it would tuck under more but Tim said it's discontinued because their supplier no longer makes em'. I may cut and weld mine not sure yet what to do. Thanks again!

Glenn Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Berg 1-5/8" merged with dual QP.

smkn_vw Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Glenn, are your dual QP's also Berg? If so, do you have the part #? Yours fits perfect.

Glenn Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:05 am

Yes... GB-971A-2M

http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_2939&products_id=1418

The current looks like a totally different system from mine.

Current Berg

Mine

smkn_vw Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks Glenn yeah yours does look different to the current Berg one with narrower mufflers and flared tips I think I'm going to call Berg again....now stop teasing me with your setup haha

Steve Arndt Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:23 pm

Where are you at? I have an old 1995 Berg dual quiet pack sitting in my storage shed.

s

smkn_vw Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Hey Steve I'm in CA but unfortunately I called Berg and can't use a Berg QP if I don't have Berg headers unless I adjust the flange but I will keep a note of yours I only saw a couple in the classifieds. But looking at Glenn's flange it looks like the normal 1:00 o'clock position same like mine, I don't get it. Anyway my brother is letting go a rusty and scraped up :D QP by bugpack I will try, if it fits well I will just rattle can it's not my daily driver.

Steve Arndt Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:19 pm

Berg duals. The small flange. Top bolt is around 1:30 on the clock for the bolt orientation. These have a cool raspy old school sound and really let the webers shine through up top end. Quieter than a magnaflow or dynomax.

http://boise.craigslist.org/pts/4529214230.html