TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cam I.D. Help Needed Please- "S2" markings
63ratster Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Just pulled the oil pump on a 1600cc engine that recently purchased. The three-bolt cam and cam gear have a"S2" stamped on them. Anyone familiar with the maker and specs? I can't find any info after a search. Thanks

63ratster Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:35 pm

No ideas from anyone? That's probably not a good sign. I vaguely remember a manufacturer back in the late 90's to early 2000's that used a similar code for it's cams. Maybe they had a S1 for stock grind, S2 for a mild performance cam, and maybe a S3 for a hot grind? Just guessing, of course. Does this spark a memory to anyone else? Thanks

mark tucker Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:29 pm

I seem to remember something along those lines but realy dont have a clue as to whoo did it,elgin or somebody like that from what my brain remembers.

[email protected] Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:10 pm

We made those in the 80's and 90's and sold them to JC Whitney. That is a reground German cam which has a W100 profile.

63ratster Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:11 pm

AHHHH.... yes, Roy....That's it! The wonderful days of my youth anxiously awaiting the new J.C. Whitney catalog, only to flip directly to the 10+ pages of VW parts! :D Wow, how time flies. Thanks you Roy, for answering what no one else could!