TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: valve seat removal
volkaholic1 Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:41 am

I have a set of type iv heads I want to remove the valve seats from. I can find lots of information about how to install new seats, but nothing about removing them. What is the best way to get them out?

ALB Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:57 am

I have heard that if you weld a bead on the seat (all the way around) it will shrink it enough to just about fall out.

mcmscott Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:15 am

Machine the diameter of an old valve so it drops thru the seat, then weld around the inside perimeter of seat(not to the valve) then use the valve to tap out the seat.

Brian_e Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:19 am

I use scrap pieces of solid round bar that are kind of close to the inside diameter of the seat. Maybe 1/4" thick. The fit isn't real critical, as you can fill any gap with the welder. I weld the scraps in with one fat quick pass all the way around them with the wire feed. Then real quick, flip them over and use a long drift or rod through the guide and punch them out toward the chamber side. They usually pop out real easy.

Brian

modok Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:22 am

Bore them out.
Pry them out
Weld a washer in it and drive out
Heat the head to 450F in oven and bang on table

If you don't have the ability to bore them out.... how you gonna put the new probably larger ones back in??

volkaholic1 Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:27 am

right now I just want to get them out, I have a special little project I am working on.