TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hey Jobenaus Page: 1, 2  Next
goffoz Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:03 am

Thats a very unusual top?
Do you have any info or more pics of the inside and how you like it
Thanks

danfromsyr Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:21 am

hey you can't post just one pic..
and I wanna know more info about it too...

jobenaus Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:25 am

Hi Guys,
Sorry I can't be of much help. It was on there when I bought it about 10 years ago. Someone stuck the top on and put 1970's westy interior parts into it. I like the top as there is a ton of storage up in the back raised part. I'll try to get some pics of the inside some time today and post them.

vanagonjr Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:38 am

Can you post some inside pics. I imagine that it is stationary (non-pop-top).
Pretty cool and unusual (so much so that Dan did not even mention about the fuel cans bungeed to the top :wink: )

Funny, I find just the little extra height inside from the pop-top, even when not popped, makes moving around the van a breeze. That has led me to think that a low height roof would be neat and still allow one to car top boats, bikes, etc. , but of course not really worth the trouble to fabricate when a pop-top and Jack Bombay's roof top struts would accomplish the same.

danfromsyr Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Hmmm,

John is right of course.. I'd let those fuel cans slide in this post.

there are many US minivans with a small rise fiberglass top for the mobility solutions crowd.

I'm thinking of glassing in one of those onto a westy top.. to allow a little more room top down and yet still have top popped height,

but then car garages and ferries become issues.

levi Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:32 pm

Cool top, I like it, reminds me of the old greyhound buses..

Looks like it might open up from the back?

bluefirefly Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:05 pm

vanagonjr wrote: Funny, I find just the little extra height inside from the pop-top, even when not popped, makes moving around the van a breeze. That has led me to think that a low height roof would be neat.

My wife and I are thinking the same as we have a tintop.
We don't really need anything taller, it is more for cooking in the winter and be able to stand inside.
I think with about 10" more headroom, some could be interested.

We'll be happy to see more pictures too.

Thanks

jobenaus Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:08 pm

Here are some inside pics as requested. keep in mind it needs a lot of cleaning up to bring it up to snuff...things like a headliner etc. Its hard to get a good photo with the iphone but I hope you get the idea. The big lexan skylight someone cut in there is nice for the extra light and a blessing on cool days when the sun helps heat things up but a curse on hot days. I plan on closing that eventually and puting a 2 way fan/vent up there.

I am about 6 ft and can stand straight in the small little area just in front of the bench, but have to tilt my neck in the front part. Still better than having to wiggle into your pants laying down :)

Levi...Yes I think the back did flip open at one time, but its now sealed

Dan...I'm not even going to ask whats wrong with having gas cans on top :)

John...not the top does not flip....So only sleeps 2 unless someone want the floor.

vanagonjr Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:42 pm

jobenaus wrote:
John...not the top does not flip....So only sleeps 2 unless someone want the floor.
Well, it could be considered a Dachshund penthouse.

bluefirefly Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:06 pm

jobenaus wrote:

What is that "open area" on the top.
Is it the headliner not being finish as you stated or an access outside panel?

Anyway, I like it because it is not too tall and give you more storage space at the rear.

jobenaus Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:39 pm

"What is that "open area" on the top.
Is it the headliner not being finish as you stated or an access outside panel?"

That open space is where you stick the dachshund :lol:

Actually you can see just above the 2 cupboard doors is the original brace in blue and a plywood sheet covers the top of the cupboards. The open space above that is the raised part of the roof at the back. I have not closed it off and just keep my junk at bay with a bungy cord.....I will eventually probably close it of with a opening door as well so I don't have any flying projectiles in case of an accident. It used to be accessible from the back as a hinged door, but is now sealed. There is a headliner in there....its just really ugly vinyl of some sort and once I retire and have some time I will try to dress up the inside a bit, although it has been pretty functional for the last 10 years as is.

jobenaus Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Bluefirefly...I think I misunderstood your question. The big opening is a lexan skylight.

photogdave Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:46 pm

jobenaus wrote: The big lexan skylight someone cut in there is nice for the extra light and a blessing on cool days when the sun helps heat things up but a curse on hot days. I plan on closing that eventually and puting a 2 way fan/vent up there.

You could add a mini pop-up roof there for even more headroom, like Tim did here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=557575&highlight=sunroof

jobenaus Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Dave...that is a nice mini pop, but I don't spend much time standing in my van so I don't mind it as is. The original posters might find that useful though.

Nice video's btw. Are those all shotgun shells in the beginning of your March madness video. :shock: Loks like that sloppy wet coastal slippery snow you were playing in. :D

photogdave Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:39 pm

jobenaus wrote: Dave...that is a nice mini pop, but I don't spend much time standing in my van so I don't mind it as is. The original posters might find that useful though.

Nice video's btw. Are those all shotgun shells in the beginning of your March madness video. :shock: Loks like that sloppy wet coastal slippery snow you were playing in. :D

Thanks! Yep, anytime you head more than an hour out of the city into the woods – expect shotgun shells (and beer cans)! :snipersmile:

bluefirefly Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:28 pm

jobenaus wrote: Bluefirefly...I think I misunderstood your question. The big opening is a lexan skylight.

Thanks, this is what I was asking. Sorry, I didn't get it at the top of your post.
Must heat up (or cook) the van in no time when the sun is up.....

jobenaus Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:54 pm

Yup gets warm...which is great in northern climes on cool days, but not so great other times. I will close it off some time and put a 2way fan/vent there hopefully. light is nice though

AMT Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:30 pm

Jobenaus, how is the Lexan attached to the roof? Any gaskets or problems with leaks?

jobenaus Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:36 pm

There is a bit of a raised part where the lexan sits inside of a wood frame and is screwed to the frame. The lexan is flush with the raised part of the roof. It did have some problems when I first got the van when it was sealed with the stuff you use to seal windshields, but have since used white silicon. Not pretty but works much better....no problems

AMT Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:46 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the reply.