TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Manual Trans Leak advice
Slimvest Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Hey all,

Put a used transaxle into my '87 GL that had been sitting for a few years (the trans, not the van). After filling it with Redline MTL and about 1000 miles, it's leaking from what looks like the nose cone area. Probably dried out gasket after sitting so long.

If I support the trans, can I just unbolt the front mounting, pull the nose off and changes the gasket in there?

It doesn't drip while in the garage, so I'm intending to drive it about 200 miles this weekend before I can get to this. Just going to wipe things down and keep an eye on it.

Thanks!

Wildthings Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:38 pm

The vent is on the top of the tranny in that area.

I think the use of MTL in these transaxles is questionable.

Yes you can pop the nose cone with the tranny bolted to the engine. Don't remember if you have to tilt it down a bit or not to get clearance.

atomatom Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:25 pm

as i think wildthings insinuated, the breather hole is at the top of the nosecone, on the side you showed. is the oil coming from there? i've heard that redline can get 'frothy' - perhaps that is it?

Wildthings Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Yes more than an insinuation, the question mark got let there when I deleted part of what I wrote.

Slimvest Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:33 pm

I misspoke. Redline MT-90 is in the trans.

Thanks for the vent info! I'll wipe it down and keep an eye on it. Could the trans have been over-filled?

atomatom Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 pm

it is hard to overfill the transmission, unless the van is tipped up on the side with the fill hole (the passenger side).

the froth thing came from p19 of this study (as much as you can believe a rival manufacturers analysis) http://wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C96/G-Items/Per...index.html

lots of people ragging on redline mt - although it is generally regarded that it is ok for stock engines.... that my trans died after only a few hundred miles of MT-90 was probably coincidence.

Slimvest Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:22 pm

Thanks.

I'm constantly weighing "best possible" vs "good enough" when it comes to the van. I ran Redline in my previous trans for 50k without issue and it actually improved shifting a bit. Will have to do more research prior to the next gear oil change!

atomatom Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:40 pm

yeah, i wouldn't sweat it... i gave up researching "best" oil or even "good enough". i'm currently using bg ultraguard as dictated by my rebuild warranty which is good because i didn't even have to choose it.