TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1971 vw campmobile tourist delivery
dropped65 Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:02 am

so i just purchased this 71 campmobile expecting your everyday average bay westy. after going through the bus and the piles of og paperwork its actually a tourist delivery program vehicle with "ut" on the mcode plate

where is was when i got it

where it sits now on my trailer still

mcodes

front

rear

engine

everything on it so far seems to be og besides one respray the og red the odometer stopped working in 09 and it was parked shortly after due to crash damage in the nose. last record was 66k miles and it was only driven for a few months after. with dealer documented mileage upto 57k i dont think it has much more than the 66k. plans for now is to clean it up get it road worthy replace the top tent and fix the crash damage then drive and enjoy it.[/img]

richparker Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:18 am

Nice score, looks good for a Mass bus. My 68' is a tourist delivery too. Good luck with it

dropped65 Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:22 am

richparker wrote: Nice score, looks good for a Mass bus. My 68' is a tourist delivery too. Good luck with it

its originally from california then texas so it hasnt had much of a northeast exposure yet

shiningstar76 Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:15 pm

dropped65 wrote: richparker wrote: Nice score, looks good for a Mass bus. My 68' is a tourist delivery too. Good luck with it

its originally from california then texas so it hasnt had much of a northeast exposure yet
My 68 bus was from Cali and after only 3 years in NH and IL it started to rust. Highly recommend parking it in the winters.

dropped65 Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:12 am

yea i wasnt planning on dailying this just using it as a toy, but unfortunately it will sleep outside as i dont have a garage tall enough for it haha. this might also give me a reason to lower it.

thewalrus Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:17 am

Where are you in Mass? Nice to see another local bus getting fixed up

dropped65 Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:19 am

thewalrus wrote: Where are you in Mass? Nice to see another local bus getting fixed up

i live in fall river i found the bus in swansea it was posted here for about a day

so far all ive been doing is cleaning and trying to get rid of the mouse smell

Tcash Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:41 am

Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pronunciation (Samba) English-German

Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
Volkswagen Type 2 Bus M-Plate Decoder
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

dropped65 Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:47 am

thanks i have read through most of them so far. this is my first bay but not my first vw i also have a 64 buggy a 59 semaphore ragtop bug and a 61 singlecab

sodbuster Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:33 pm

Yep I got it bad for my 71 euro delivery campmobile. She's been a faithful and dependable friend for the last nine years.

Good on you for boning up on the baywindow bus info. But watch it some of the info being passed along has no bearing on your bus. Particularly info that is type 4 engine specific. Some of the good and eagerly helpful folks here must have missed the fact that your camper is a 1971 model, and does not have a type 4 motor but a type 1. But then again knowledge is power and much of the type 4 info applies but much does not. So like I said be careful.

dropped65 Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:57 am

got the bus running yesterday with a known good coil and dist next is a real tune up, fresh gas, new fuel lines.filter/ carb rebuild and a new pump

dropped65 Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:51 am

ok so after a week or so here is an update. i have the bus running pretty good i tried to take it around the block but it felt like it had no power. i took all the wheels off and found the brakes were stuck and it wasnt a big shock to me seeing as the bus has sat since 09. new wheel cyl, shoes, caliper kits and pads have been ordered might have to replace a few short metal lines.

72boughitnew Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:24 am

We picked ours up in Luxembourg on the European delivery program for our honeymoon trip to Europe in March 31, 1972. 42 years later it is still carrying us (and grandkids) on regular camping trips. It has seen 31 countries and two trips through Russia. It still has the original paint (no patina or whatever they call "wore out paint" these days) and the original top canvas. We have literally seen the world through the bay window. Have a look at photos from our 6 month trip in 72 and some photos of more current trips.

dropped65 Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:49 am

found a donor front clip to repair the crash damage. going to have it shipped in from California