TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: shopping list for a show
VW_Buggsy Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:35 pm

What do you folks "stock up on" at shows? I used to go to lots of shows but now I'm lucky to hit one in a season. When I go I always replenish my stock of certain things that I like keep on hand.

I'm planning on heading to the latimore valley show on Saturday and I'm making my list of items to buy new and look out for in the swaps for my cars and it made me curious.

Personally, I always buy a couple or several:
complete engine gasket kits
The good cork valve cover gaskets multi-packs
Oil change gasket kits
Dual port intake manifold boots, I like to have a couple fresh ones on hand
Spare Accel/clutch/heater cables if one of the cars needs a spare

What do y'all always find yourselves picking up at shows just to have on hand? Or am I the only one that does this :-)

Glenn Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Since there's almost nothing available locally, I have to maintain my own inventory of spare parts. While going to a show is a way to save on shipping, most new parts vendors sell the same cheap chrome crap so I don't bother.

What I do do is scan the swap for good used and NOS OEM stuff. That's where you can save a few dollars.

Miklo Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:13 pm

I like to try and save every smoothie rim I can... before they all get widened.

hitest Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm more with Glenn- but would add that new stuff at shows just fills the box and drains the wallet. I'm after old stuff I can't flush out of my local market. If I'm working on a big project- it's nice to take advantage of bigger-ticket things that can save quite a bit (like a wiring harness for 20% off and no shipping in Pomona).

I always look for the rare and unusual- but trends would suggest that good old black-bodied distributors are the thing to grab. I'm a headlight assembly hoarder too. Some day, everyone who wants headlight parts in Boise are gonna have to come to ME. 8)

EverettB Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:09 pm

Glenn wrote: What I do do is scan the swap for good used and NOS OEM stuff. That's where you can save a few dollars.

Yes, this.

I have a lifetime supply of real oil change kits, both 36hp and later.
I probably have a lifetime supply of cap & rotor kits for my '63 and '55, all NOS.

A few times I bought parts like brand new WCM seals for cheaper than new.

I agree on the cables, I once bought 20+ clutch cables for dirt cheap just so I could hack them up to use to roto-rooter out intake manifolds.

Older brand new Bosch Spark plugs if I see them.

Random pieces of original engine tin

VW_Buggsy Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:45 pm

Hmmm, you see this is why I ask! It never really occurred to me to look for NOS parts, particularly "consumables". I've always tended to buy that stuff new but I guess other than rubber stuff you can't beat real oem or vintage Bosch stuff for quality.

I do already buy any used stuff that I think I might need that is in good shape if I come across it. If I can afford it that is!