TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Stuck going back together Page: 1, 2  Next
COVeeDubb Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:55 pm

I pulled my engine and transmission about 3 plus years ago for an overhaul / rebuild. I am now going back together. Prior to removal I snapped a bunch of photos but have since lost them thanks to the awesome lightning storms in Colorado.

I have patched things together most of the way but now have some things that I need assistance with getting back together.

I am a much more visual person so if you are able to snap a pic of what it is supposed to look like, that would be far more helpful. But hey, beggars can't be choosers right....

The first is I am not sure what hose goes here...

Same story here, what line goes here....

And what goes lines go on the canister...

Under the intake tubes on the left side. Under these are the grounds for the injectors but i'm not sure what plugs in here...

What line goes to the tbody here....

Next is the coil. From what i can gather i have this arranged correctly. In this pic you can see an additional connector. There is a spare spade on the coil on the top side perhaps for that?

This is on the right side by the battery. The line comes from the tin that feeds down to the alternator/starter but i am not sure where this end connects...

I am not sure where this bolts up...

This is what i believe is the connector for the above pic...

Lastly is the fuel pressure regulator that I am not sure where it goes...

Why yes, this is a little embarrassing, but I am stuck and want to get this thing down the road. It has been way too long. Also if you see anything that i totally hooked up wrong or is backwards please feel free to correct me.

Much thanks
Matt[/img]

Big Papi Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:40 pm

This might help with some of those hose connections.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

Tcash Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:32 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513607

my59 Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Fuel pressure regulator- passenger side of engine in vertical tin- over in hole a few inches above to the left of the end of the hard line where the injectors are. There is a nut you need to fasten to tin from the other side, and then you connect the nipple on the nut end to the return for the tank, Short bit of FI fuel line goes to the end of the hard line by injector #1.
Use FI fuel clamps on the gas soft lines
Vacuum line shown connects as per vacuum diagram.

SGKent Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:49 pm

can I make a suggestion? In this thread just ask one question at a time now that have not been answered. My head spun trying to look at all the photos then I decided to go cook dinner and watch TV. If you ask one item at a time now someone is bound to know the answer.

The first one is the 1975+/- = 1977 nipple on the fan shroud which blows air thru the carbon vapor canister.

Tcash Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:39 pm

If it is blue/green. Oil Pressure switch.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1232548.jpg
Wiring Diagrams

Need a wire color.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1232552.jpg

Thermo Time Switch
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1232557.jpg

busdaddy Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:42 pm

SGKent wrote: can I make a suggestion? In this thread just ask one question at a time now that have not been answered. My head spun trying to look at all the photos then I decided to go cook dinner and watch TV. If you ask one item at a time now someone is bound to know the answer.
My thoughts exactly, nothing wrong with questions but make the answering less complicated :P

So...what have you got under control and what's still outstanding?

COVeeDubb Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:14 pm

Alrighty. Updates, updates

First of all thanks for all of the replies.

Ok the things that remain :

I am a little stuck on the fuel pressure regulator. I have a photo of how I currently have the fuel line that comes through the tin. I have it going directly to the hard line on the injector. From what I gathered I need to remove the soft line, go into the regulator, then go from the regulator to the hard line. Please review the photo to confirm my suspicion. Or if you have a pic of how yours looks, please post...

COVeeDubb Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Next thing...

This is a pic of the original connector that I asked about. Someone asked what color, so it is red and I believe it goes to the battery connection, but I am not certain.

In the same photo is another connector that I am not sure where it goes...

COVeeDubb Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:24 pm

Next....

Everything on the coil checks out with exception to the one in the photos. It is a white wire with green....

SGKent Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:24 pm

the fuel pressure regulator bolts to the back of the tin. Test it first to be sure it holds a vacuum. The nipple that goes straight goes under the bus ten takes a return line to the tank. That line can be standard pressure line although I used high pressure line because if something ever plugged the inlet it would see 100 psi.

the inlet line goes to the right side fuel rail.

A vacuum line also goes to it. That vacuum one is the one that comes from the plenum and tee's to the decal valve.

COVeeDubb Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:25 pm

I'm still clueless on this joker and what connects to it....

COVeeDubb Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Lastly I was curious about the engine seal. Is there any technique with installation of this? Like starting it in the front then working it around, etc?

Thank you again.

Matt

Tcash Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:30 pm

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/TDCMarker.html

SGKent Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:34 pm

COVeeDubb wrote: Next....

Everything on the coil checks out with exception to the one in the photos. It is a white wire with green....

re your wiring - Been here? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

Best two things thing you can do are:

Take the file(s) for your bus to a shop that can print larger paper (not necessarily a poster). Have them print two copies of your wiring in color. Keep one as a reference and the other goes into the garage while you are working on this to make notes on and to view.

The other is get some lacquer thinner or carb cleaner and put a SMALL amount on a rag or old terry cloth and wipe the wire. You'll be surprised how the color comes true to what it was when it left the factory - then you can find it on the print out and low and behold it will make a lot more sense.

I think that what you call green and white is the oil sender.

SGKent Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:35 pm

COVeeDubb wrote: Lastly I was curious about the engine seal. Is there any technique with installation of this? Like starting it in the front then working it around, etc?

Thank you again.

Matt

patience grasshopper, patience

the seam is at the back. Side with a coating goes out.

COVeeDubb Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:38 pm

SGKent wrote: I think that what you call green and white is the oil sender.

But I've already got the solid blue wire on the oil sender....

richparker Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:43 pm

Man I sure do love a T1 after reading stuff like this. :)

busdaddy Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:51 pm

The grey/green or white/green by the coil is diagnostic, it went on #1 but is useless now. Same with that round black plug with 3 holes.
The thermostatic valve on the top of the case is uncommon, I've seen it on a few in the past but can't recall if it was on genuine bus motors or 411/412 or Porsche, is your bus automatic?

What kind of fuel line is that you are using, looks sketchy :?

germansupplyscott Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:09 am

busdaddy wrote: The thermostatic valve on the top of the case is uncommon, I've seen it on a few in the past but can't recall if it was on genuine bus motors or 411/412 or Porsche, is your bus automatic?

'75 automatic bus only. maybe CA '74 injected (which was auto trans also) but i am not sure on that.