TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: weber or dell
Madfrog56 Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:37 pm

hi all I am tempararily putting a stock type 3 duel carb 1600 in my rail while I rebuild my main engine. it is converted to upright cooling . my question is should I leave the stock duel weber carbs on it or I have a nice set of baby dells I could put on it which do you think would be better just looking to be able to drive while my other motor is freshened up ty for the input in advance.

udidwht Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:21 pm

VW never offered Weber/s as stock. They originally came with Solex.

Madfrog56 Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:58 pm

well I feel dum now lol. so they are not stock vw weber's. but they are an original set of weber ict and there are real italion webers says Italy right on the top of carb. so which do you think would be best to run .

esde Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:51 pm

Weber ICT's and baby Dellorto FRD's are comparable to one another as far as performance and reliability. The ICT parts are easier to find (jets too), where as the Dellorto FRD parts are scarce. It probably makes the most sense to run whichever is in better condition, or if one has the correct jets for that engine already. Personally, I'd take the Dells, but both are good carbs.

youngnstudly Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:54 pm

What's wrong with the ICT's? Why not run them and enjoy the fact you can get parts more easily for them? Swapping carbs won't make a damn bit of difference, unless you know there is a problem with one set and not the other set. Sort of like trading your old 1/2 ton long bed Chevy truck for the same damn thing, but Ford's version.

If you're looking for improvement, selling both sets of carbs and getting BIGGER (IDF or DRLA series) carbs would be something you would notice (performance wise). Being that the engine is stock, I'd leave it alone unless your ICT's are worn out or leaking. It's temporary for starters, and a rail is probably not your primary mode of transportation anyways.

There's no need to feel dumb, everyone on this forum is...we just have different degrees of dumbness, making some of us less dumber-er and others more dumber-er. :lol: