TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fan noise
azbob Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:44 am

I have a Noise that sounds like the belt fan is rubbing, could be the inner one as well. I have spare fans but wanted to know what the spacers are if any (shims etc) and I remember there being a paper washer between the two BUT I am not certain. I'll be looking this stuff up. My guess is the PO probably left out a spacer OR the fan is warped.

Before I dig into this and start pulling the fans, are their any tips or gotchas I should be aware of before I get stuck with an inoperable car for a week waiting on parts?

Thanks in advance.

Bobnotch Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:38 am

azbob wrote: I have a Noise that sounds like the belt fan is rubbing, could be the inner one as well. I have spare fans but wanted to know what the spacers are if any (shims etc) and I remember there being a paper washer between the two BUT I am not certain. I'll be looking this stuff up. My guess is the PO probably left out a spacer OR the fan is warped.

Before I dig into this and start pulling the fans, are their any tips or gotchas I should be aware of before I get stuck with an inoperable car for a week waiting on parts?

Thanks in advance. There should be 1 shim and paper gasket betwwen the main fan and the belt pulley. If the clearance between the fan pulley and shroud are ok (not rubbing), then you've probably got a fan shroud screw backing out, and rubbing on the main fan.

azbob Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:52 am

I'll probably pull the belt fan and see if their is still a sound. You're probably right though. It does sound like it could be a shroud screw hitting the fan. Thanks!

Bobnotch Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:05 am

azbob wrote: I'll probably pull the belt fan and see if their is still a sound. You're probably right though. It does sound like it could be a shroud screw hitting the fan. Thanks!

I was going to suggest that before you dig too deep too, as a generator bearing going bad has a similar sound to it. :roll:

azbob Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:12 am

That's actually what I first checked. Thought it may be the generator rubbing or a bearing. I disconnected it and pulled the belt. Still have the sound so I've counted that out. Like I said "Belt fan" and not "fan belt". :D

azbob Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:26 am

Turned out to be a broken fan. Not to big of a deal to change out.

Bobnotch Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:18 pm

azbob wrote: Turned out to be a broken fan. Not to big of a deal to change out.

Glad you found it. :D