TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Any Experience with CB Pro-Series Straight Cut Gears #1400
theastronaut Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:56 am

Anyone used these yet? I know the regular CB gears have had some issues, was wondering if these were better? The crank gear has the spacer made into the gear, no separate spacer needed. I need to finish ordering parts for my 2276 and didn't know if I should go with these or not.

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1400

mark tucker Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:27 am

looks like a good idea.I wonder if there a tight slip fit or still have to be pressed/pulled off?

58Dub Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:28 am

Im about ready to order a set.... was thinking the same thing

theastronaut Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:21 pm

I guess I'll be the guinea pig. Will post back how they fit and if they're round or not. My regular CB gear were slightly out round- more backlash on one side than the other and they fit very tight on the crank. Neither was bad enough to toss them out though.

farmhand Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:45 pm

"MADE IN CHINA"

theastronaut Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:49 pm

farmhand wrote: "MADE IN CHINA"

It says "Made in the USA" on their webpage... ?

Pat D Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:31 pm

These gears are very high quality and actually made in Canada.

Hophead Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:45 pm

Pat D wrote: These gears are very high quality and actually made in Canada.

Is it the same company that makes the 48 IDA arms? those are a bit pricey.....BUT, they work exceptionally well. The new Gear set looks great.

APPLEGREENVW Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:40 pm

I know this is a old post, but looking for feedback on the #1400 CB straight cut gears?

Pruneman99 Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:44 pm

I have the same gears waiting to go in. My cam took a field trip to Denmark, so it will be awhile before I use them. I looked for feedback on this set and there wasn't much I could find. They are made in Canada.

I'm suspecting them to be kinda loud. They sure ring like a bell :shock:

They seem well made, but that's all I got for now.

theastronaut Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:36 pm

I used them in the 1500 build for my '63 vert. No issues with them, they're round, aren't too tight or too loose. Gear whine is noticeable but not loud, but that'll be different in different cases. They have about 3,000 miles on them so far, no issues.

67rustavenger Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:14 pm

I've run them in my 2180.
The gears aren't too loud. knida sound like the vid John posted above.

I really like the racer spacer setup on the crank timing gear. No more bendy OG VW spacer ring needed.

I'm reusing the gears in my latest 2276 build. :D

txoval Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:42 pm

Mine were/are loud…my posts about them are in the Super Squish piston thread

https://youtu.be/F8ibY3LpuV4

Pruneman99 wrote: I have the same gears waiting to go in. My cam took a field trip to Denmark, so it will be awhile before I use them. I looked for feedback on this set and there wasn't much I could find. They are made in Canada.

I'm suspecting them to be kinda loud. They sure ring like a bell :shock:

They seem well made, but that's all I got for now. :lol:

ps2375 Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:03 pm

I have a set going into my race motor. They seem to have a slightly tight spot on the cam gear for about 90*. Got a little smoother with assy lube. The fit was snug, but went on nicely after heating in the toaster oven. Not really worried about if they make noise. In fact, I hope they do. They looked quite nicely made and the spacer built on to the crank gear was a very nice touch.

ps2375 Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:06 pm

txoval wrote: Mine were/are loud…my posts about them are in the Super Squish piston thread

https://youtu.be/F8ibY3LpuV4

Those are loud. I'll have much less muffler to cover them up some.

slalombuggy Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:05 pm

So much of how loud they are depends on your case. VW, had what, 10 gear sizes? Personally I was peaved about how quiet mine were. My Competition Engineering gears are louder snd they're buried in a heavy aluminum case.

If you want quiet, buy an aluminum helical gear and put in a double thrust bearing