TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1956 VW Ambulance help!
InDaWeeds Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:28 am

Please can anyone help with this? … A friend has seen what is believed to be a RHD 1956 VW Ambulance. There is no M-Code Plate that we can see. However, the ambulance bulkhead behind the driver seat is stamped with the VIN number 117272, which I thought was a Barndoor VIN number? … However stamped next to the engine on the right hand side in the engine bay is the VIN number 119729, which I believe to be 1955/56? … the engine number is 1996449, any ideas on year?
Could there be a VIN tag/ M-Code plate anywhere else on this vehicle if it’s an ambulance. Has rear tailgate with glass that opens upwards not down. Has original safari windows, semaphores, ambulance fan, bulkhead with sliding glass, and recess for stretcher. Could it have been converted to be an ambulance? … any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry no photos yet.

Wheelie Pete Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:54 am

Pics??

turkis-deluxe Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:01 pm

VW never put M-code plates on 1956 buses as they didn't come out until I believe 1959. That # on the bulkhead is the body#. Go into the engine compartment and you'll find the VIN#.

You can post that here for verification or go to this link for a VIN reference point.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php

InDaWeeds Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks. The number on the bulkhead which you say is the body number is 117272, I do not see body numbers for busses in the VIN site. Only Chassis numbers.
The VIN number next to the engine in the engine compartment is 119729, Engine number is 1996449, any ideas on year of engine? 57/58?

joe56vw Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:16 pm

engine compartment(the true vin#) vin #119729 would be march of '55
I believe this number should have the 20- in front of it like barndoors do they used that number style for awhile post-bd
this bus is one of the first post-bd ones and should have all the early Wolfsburg bus only stuff that is listed in this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225586&highlight=wolfsburg+changes

Engine number 1996449 is aug of '57

body number 117272 really doesn't mean much and is usually a few weeks/months earlier then the vin#

InDaWeeds Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks for this info!
The bus does not have the 20- infront of either VIN # and is is not a barndoor ambulance as it has the later dash. Must be a very very early post barndoor bus/ambulance that used many of the barndoor parts left over hence the bulkhead/divide having the BD VIN # ... You think?
I will check some of the other details from the link you gave. Thanks.

I believe this number should have the 20- in front of it like barndoors do they used that number style for awhile post-bd
this bus is one of the first post-bd ones and should have all the early Wolfsburg bus only stuff that is listed in this thread

joe56vw Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:25 pm

InDaWeeds wrote: Thanks for this info!
The bus does not have the 20- infront of either VIN # and is is not a barndoor ambulance as it has the later dash. Must be a very very early post barndoor bus/ambulance that used many of the barndoor parts left over hence the bulkhead/divide having the BD VIN # ... You think?
I will check some of the other details from the link you gave. Thanks.

the body number is really meaningless since it doesn't really tell you any info on the bus and I think the 20- wasn't on the stamping but on the plate that was under it

btw all post-bd Wolfsburg buses have "left over" bd parts on them
I have a '56 that was one of the last Wolfsburg buses and it had lots of bd style parts on it