TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Why you don't buy a cheap torque wrench... Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
electronictofu Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:13 pm

So, here's some awesome over-torque with a cheapie old torque wrench... Was doing a simple clutch and pressure plate install on my brand new 1776, and snappo. Even better the bolt has a small dab of loc-tite on it. It's been years since I chased a bolt out like this...

Any advice or tool options to fix this... would be awesome. And you don't need to remind me I'm effed, this sucks :) Ah.... why meeeeeeee.

electronictofu Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:28 pm

There are left and right handed bits? Im not sure what to get... Would this work?

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-screw-extractor-set-40349.html

In addition buying a punch?

dsrtfox Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Does the bolt stick out of the back? if so you can grind a slot in it and remove with a screw driver. Don't jump right in, cool off or you can screw it up worse. Take a little punch, tap it in the front than tap it in the back until you break the lock the lock tite loose. Than drill, it will probably unscrew it self before you get the drill goes all the way thru. The way the bolt head looks you have a nice divot to center the drill. Take your time, if you get in a hurry you'll probably screw it up. Of course the right way to do it would be to take the flywheel off and do it in your Bridgeport :)

modok Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:36 pm

Please do not buy ANY twisty ez-outs.

The square ones work both ways, so IMO they are preferable.
ACE hardware should sell the Hanson brand.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Irwin-Straight-Flute-Ext...mp;veh=aff

Is that a mexican iron flywheel?? looks like it is.

Cptn. Calzone Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:37 pm

Heat and pb blaster or some kroil and P atience and some beer and good blues music Good luck on this one

electronictofu Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:40 pm

Hell yes. B.B. King and some Brews coming right up.
I have some PB Blaster on hand. I need to pick up a punch set. What type of drill bit are we talking here?

dsrtfox Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:43 pm

If your doing it right now a big nail makes a pretty good enough punch...

modok Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Harbor freight sells a small set of left hand drills. If you decide to drill a hole in it then a left hand one is handy because if it grabs it may thread it out for ya!

If you have a dremel I'd advise trying to grind a slot in it with a cutoff wheel and see if a screwdriver can do it,

If that does not work, or whatever, it is good to dremel a divot in the center on the broken stud so your drill starts straight in the center.

If you drill a hole off-center........... then you are screwed, or at least well on the way of being 100% screwed. (locked in place with a broken ez-out!)

dsrtfox Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Glen, if you look at the way the bolt snapped off, you'd be hard pressed to get a better center...

electronictofu Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:49 pm

modok wrote: Harbor freight sells a small set of left hand drills. If you decide to drill a hole in it then a left hand one is handy because if it grabs it may thread it out for ya!

If you have a dremel I'd advise trying to grind a slot in it with a cutoff wheel and see if a screwdriver can do it,

If that does not work, or whatever, it is good to dremel a divot in the center on the broken stud so your drill starts straight in the center.

If you drill a hole off-center........... then you are screwed, or at least well on the way of being 100% screwed. (locked in place with a broken ez-out!)

I think I will try the dremel route. Although my cutoff discs that I've used for similar procedures are too large in diameter, I'll try to find a really small cutting wheel for it. OSH is up the road I'll try my luck.

dsrtfox Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:53 pm

I'm sure you'll get it just be patient...

Quokka42 Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:55 pm

Loctite loosens up around 200C - much less than any effect on temper, so heat it with your propane torch before trying to remove it.

modok Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:55 pm

dsrtfox wrote: Glen, if you look at the way the bolt snapped off, you'd be hard pressed to get a better center...

You're right it does look kinda centered, but without seeing it with both eyeballs it hard to say for sure.

Have to be careful, the center of the broken spot of the bolt is not the center of the hole. I try to look at the chamfer at the top of the bolt hole as a visual reference rather than eyeballing the stud itself.

Cutoff wheels can always get smaller. They get smaller real fast held against the bench grinder :wink:

dsrtfox Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:59 pm

Be sure to let us know how it goes...

MURZI Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Looks more like an el cheapo bolt that broke rather than an unaccurate torque wrench. Use some 10.9 rated bolts on that joker.

electronictofu Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:41 pm

WOW. I lucked the F out!
I bought some dremel discs, and burned one down on the cement to make it smaller in diameter. I started hitting the area to make a slot to enable a flat head screw driver to turn it. And I noticed it started moving a bit. I am shocked how easily it came out. I barely did anything to it. THIS makes my night. Thanks for all the help all. These were the EMPI pressure plate bolts. It's not the best quality metal. I may go a grade higher, and get a new torque wrench tomorrow. All will be good! :twisted:

dsrtfox Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Go to 10.9 like MURZI said. Ace Hardware should have all you want...

Howard 111 Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:18 pm

Get new bolts from CB with the correct hardness, and a new, ACCURATE torque wrench, or rent one.

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1369

Alstrup Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:00 am

Are you sure itīs not the bolt that is cheasy?
Show us the other side of the bolt head. My gues its that it is a 6,6, or even worse, a chinese 5,5.

Dale M. Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:44 am

Alstrup wrote: Are you sure itīs not the bolt that is cheasy?
Show us the other side of the bolt head. My gues its that it is a 6,6, or even worse, a chinese 5,5.

^^^^

Dale