TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: is this cv joint worth rebulding? some pitting
vanis13 Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Is this cv axle worth rebulding?

There are three places on this end that show the pitting as seen in the picture. This is the first one I.ve cleaned of the four so no data on the others.

This is a oem axle (as far as I know). I.ve been told that it is better to rebuild the oem ones that buy rebuilds. What would u guys do on this particular one?

Never made any noise and the areas of wear appear to be off to the side of the main wear area.

I have the new boots and grease already.

None of the boots are torn, they just had surface cracking.

The only thing that prompted this rebuild was the in_process subi conversion. No other indicators or issues.

Syncro Jael Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Those pits look too deep. Pitted CV's will not let the balls move as they need. Flip it or replace and save that one as a spare in case you might break one. It would get you home.

Gnarlodious Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:11 pm

No prob, flip it over side-to-side if you are on a tight budget. That way the pressure will be on the unused surfaces. Inspect your balls closely and if any are pitted replace them with the same size garnered from used axles.

Wildthings Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Yes run it on the other side of the van so that you are wearing against a totally new surface. Should give you as many more miles as it has run already.

morymob Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:33 am

If u decide to switch sides with axles, ONLY shift them with :drivers trans cv now is pass wheel one, pass trans cv is now drivers wheel cv. Otherwise u end up with same direction of cvs as u had, mark ends of your choice with a wrap of tape so u dont get mixed up. If u want to check direction operate by hand, u wwill see how drive force is made inside the cv..

kalispell365 Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:45 am

That joint will be just fine..Just swap axles like morymob says and drive another 200k. Those joints are tough when serviced occasionally!

VWCOOL Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:25 am

Bit of moly grease... she'll be right!

Alex Proulx Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:46 am

Hi, not long ago I was chasing a vibration under load and the culprit was my cvs, they looked just like yours. I would say rotate or replace.
Alex

Wildthings Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:14 am

morymob wrote: If u decide to switch sides with axles, ONLY shift them with :drivers trans cv now is pass wheel one, pass trans cv is now drivers wheel cv. Otherwise u end up with same direction of cvs as u had, mark ends of your choice with a wrap of tape so u dont get mixed up. If u want to check direction operate by hand, u wwill see how drive force is made inside the cv..

The direction of rotation doesn't matter, it is the direction torque is applied to the joint that matters. The right side will always have clockwise torque, while the left side will always have CCW torque.

Think of this the same as you would a bolt. A right hand bolt is always tighten CW no matter how you flip it around, while a left handed bolt would always be tightened CCW.

Flipping an axle on the same side doesn't change the direction of the torque, but may cause a new wear area as the axle shaft will tend to move outward towards the wheel due to gravity.

Gnarlodious Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:25 am

I did this procedure about 40k miles back along with replacing some bad balls. My axle pressure spots looked worse than yours.

Then a few weeks ago I had to replace a ripped boot. Got to inspect the pressure surfaces and was real happy. Looks like a nice smoothening has taken place with shiny surfaces where the balls roll. Also, this is with a more powerful engine and higher lifting springs. Validating my opinion that the side-swap axle solution is a good one.

In any case, I would trust the original axles more than the modern Chinese ones.

Jon_slider Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:34 am

in my opinion, you should not move a driver side axle to passenger side, although many people get away with it, it reverses the axle twist rotation

the only flip I would do, is keeping the axle on the same side, flip the wheel end of the axle to transaxle end

looking from the rear, I mark my axles Left and Right, and keep them same side

I would not reuse pitted CV's, I would buy new Lobro CV's and put them on the original axle shaft

keep your stock axle, but buy New CVs

I would NOT buy a pre assembled chinese axle with chinese CV's on it. But if youre feeling lucky, try it, and carry a stock spare axle for when it breaks
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3737&category_id=&category_parent_id=