TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Interior Factory Paint
sambaphil Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:19 am

Hi Guys,

I need some input on the bus I am bringing back to a correct state.

Below a picture of the current interior of my 1966 21 Window Deluxe (Titian Red / Grey Biege color combo). When I purchased the bus, the interior panels were not original, the seats and interior trim were black from a mid 70's bay bus.

I took off all the incorrect paneling and what I found is the metal panels are painted with a blackish primer. I was expecting a beige color from the factory. Just curious if the black primer is from the factory or did PO's do this? There is no paint underneath the black primer, just bare metal.

mandraks Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:33 am

never seen black primer in a bus. Primered insides were always gray

Z Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:35 am

X2...gray primer, with overspray here and there from floor paint.

sambaphil Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:53 am

Here is another look that is closer...

Blackish...some grey / red over spray from previous owner paint.

Regardless, it was a grey primer then? Not the above the belt line color?

Thanks for your input on this...just curious about what was done to the bus prior. I doubt anyone would go to the effort to spray it black but who knows. I am mildly color blind so maybe it is dark grey..

Z Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:24 am

That rear area looks about right (tho it looks like the PO may have fogged in some of the dark primer over it?) Original was a light gray primer, with bits of body color overspray, headliner glue, seamsealer, etc., here and there. It was all behind panels, and that area was not kept real tidy from the factory.

From what I've seen, the floor on passenger buses had some attempt at coating with the above the belt color, but i've never seen one that looked like they were actually trying to paint it well. It was all under mats, so of little importance, finish-wise.

Your bus has def had some dark primer sprayed in the middle area, beneath the Dynamat stuff.

sambaphil Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:45 am

Thanks for the insight on this. This bus has been restored/repainted (I am guestimating 10+ years ago) and at some point had a totally new (incorrect) interior put in. Maybe when thye had it apart, they sprayed it with a black primer.

Thanks for your help...

Zebilmnc Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:20 pm

I have a 66 deluxe that is exactly the same black. One owner before me never changed anything. Completely original interior. Black below beltline no paint beneath. For whatever that is worth.

glideking Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:41 pm

The black paint is usually done for the sake of the perforated headliner material on the walls. Original material had black dots printed on. Someday we will have a good reproduction and we can all rip out our perforated headliners!
Kurt