TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: first westy post
slackin' at work Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:38 pm

hello everyone. been a big aircooled VW guy for many many years.
I went off marque about 7 years ago after selling of my 51 split bug.

I just picked up an 85 westy today. (yay!)
my first ever, so the learning curve is present.

testing the propane tank tonight, which previous owner had not used since she bought it in 2009. Im not sure what to expect as 'normal'.

I turned the regulator and expected to hear it a hiss then slow down to nothing after lines filled. but it kept hissing.
only a faint smell of propane... but it hissed and hissed until I finally decided to shut it down and ask more experienced persons.

so... what should I expect to happen when turning on the tank?

thanks all. I can guarantee this is not my last post. :D

Steve M. Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Welcome and congratulations on the Westy.
Did you fill the tank so "you" know how much is in it?

slackin' at work Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:46 pm

thanks.

no. I didn't fill it.
it's what has been in there since the previous owner of the previous owner.

initially, I didn't expect anything to be in there.

porterbrown Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:57 pm

sounds like you need a new 2-stage regulator. you should hear gas hiss momentarily while passing to the regulator, then stop. commonly replaced item, and the old single-stage regulator is no longer available. The 2-stage regulators are a different length, so you'll have to make some decisions about whether to bend copper tubing or cut and flare.

slackin' at work Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:02 pm

so definitely not right, huh? figured as much.

I was planning on a new tank soon.
it looks like it just moved up the priority list.

Dampcamper Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Your best piece of test equipment is your nose. A lighter is a distant eighth-place. :shock: Soapy water and a small brush to paint it over fittings can help you locate a slow leak, but you probably wouldn't hear any hissing from a slow leak.
Do you hear hissing from the regulator (the thing just forward of the tank's shutoff valve through which the piping passes). Those have an internal rubber diaphragm which fails when old. Not too much money to replace and not a bad idea to change anyway. Search this forum for "Propane regulator" for other people's stories.
If the tank isn't toxic looking you can just change the regulator, it's a simple plumbing job.
Make sure your stove burners are turned off while checking, turning them "clear down" is not the same as turning them "clear off".
The fridge shouldn't "pass gas" if the pilot safety is working so probably not the problem.
Keep your side door open while checking the gas system until you know there is no gas spilling inside, also the door under your sink. There are a couple of tubing connections in there.
Propane vapors are heavier-than-air so go down to the floor.
Don't do these checks inside your garage.

porterbrown Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:07 pm

not sure what condition it's in, but the tanks are super thick and resilient. replace the regulator and you can hold-off on the tank for a bit longer maybe.

Howesight Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Welcome to the Samba, Slacker!

The Westfalia propane tanks from the mid-80's use a shut-off valve that tends to leak after a while, but, in my experience, the leak typically occurs only when the shut off valve is between fully open and fully closed. Try it and see for yourself. My shut off valve leaks (at the o-ring where the knob is) when opening and when closing, but otherwise not.

I don't suggest that you ignore the leak, even though it is a small one. Rather, you can install a new shut-off valve. You will likely not need a new tank. They are not cheap. Instead, look at any of the major vendors for a new shut-off valve. Terry Kay also sells them. See here:

http://vanagonwestfaliaaccessories.com/

I found that my incredibly rusted tank was quite nice after I had it sandblasted ($35) and applied a couple coats of POR 15 paint. That was 5 years ago and still no rust and no failures.

I will say that I am tempting fate with my old shut off valve, so I will follow my own advice in the next few days and get a replacement valve.