TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Alternators - What's the hot ticket for Air Cooled?
RaraBlacksheep Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:17 pm

This thing seems to be trying to eat me alive with nagging issues; last week the alternator seems to have given up the ghost on me after prodding around with a voltmeter. Never messed with an alternator before as it would be so I've never had to cross the "repair or replace" bridge. Assuming it's not likely that the windings gave up, and taking in to consideration that the bearings aren't making any noise, am I best off with a new regulator/brushes such as:

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_105_1901/voltage-regulator-bosch-see-description.html

Or with an unknown age/history/etc. am I better off to be done with it and get a Bosch reman:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetai...0416357485

I tend to err towards new parts over rebuilt/reman but I have not had any luck finding such a beast..

Wildthings Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:29 pm

The PNW is a large place, narrow down where you live and someone may be able to tell you where there is a good mom and pops automotive electric shop close by that with will check out and repair your alternator for you.

crazyvwvanman Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:01 am

That is the wrong alternator for 82 aircooled. That is the 82 diesel alternator AL25X.
Try a Bosch AL114X for aircooled.

Mark

RaraBlacksheep wrote: ......
Or with an unknown age/history/etc. am I better off to be done with it and get a Bosch reman:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetai...0416357485

I tend to err towards new parts over rebuilt/reman but I have not had any luck finding such a beast..

germansupplyscott Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:20 am

remove the brush/regulator from the alternator and see how it looks. if the brushes are less than 1/4" or so proud of the housing you might get lucky by replacing only that part.

RaraBlacksheep Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:29 am

crazyvwvanman wrote: That is the wrong alternator for 82 aircooled. That is the 82 diesel alternator AL25X.
Try a Bosch AL114X for aircooled.

Mark

Whoops! Thanks for that catch; I guess NAPA's site isn't 100% accurate.

germansupplyscott wrote: remove the brush/regulator from the alternator and see how it looks. if the brushes are less than 1/4" or so proud of the housing you might get lucky by replacing only that part.

That seems to be the most logical place to start. Didn't realize they were so easy to get to! Figured I'd have to pull the thing off the engine and crack it open.

Wildthings wrote: The PNW is a large place, narrow down where you live and someone may be able to tell you where there is a good mom and pops automotive electric shop close by that with will check out and repair your alternator for you.

Good point, if I get to the point of removing it and can find a shop without a backlog and alternative transportation (*rimshot*) that's a good option, though maybe not the most convenient.

Thanks for the input gentlemen!

MarkWard Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:22 am

Disconnect the battery ground cables before touching the alternator.